PDA

View Full Version : trailer recommendations

Regular_Joe
04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Well I am going to be getting a trailer soon and am looking for some advice. I will be pulling it w/ a 4.0L 4x4 Ford Ranger w/ the Tow Package.

I have used my parents 6x12 enclosed pretty extensively. It will haul 2 quads just fine which is what I mostly do. But when I visit my parents I want to take all the toys. Ideally I want something to haul 4 quads or 2 quads plus 2 motorcycles. I think the only way to do that is with an open trailer given my truck. Pulling anything bigger thats enclosed is pushing it.

I was thinking along the lines of a snowmobile trailer that is 7x12 would work. I could do the two bikes side by side and the 2 quads standing up w/ the bottoms facing one another. Sound like its possible? I won't be able to use the bed of the truck to help. It will have any supplies and things we need.

Also, it will be mostly for 3-4 hr trips. The snowmobile trailers seem to have pretty small tires. How do they hold up compared to full size tires?

bellzbub
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
i have a 6x12 enclosed also with the 4.0 ranger. its alright. but for the quick trips up north for the day i have a 8x12 snowmobile trailer. it will haul 3 ltz400's or 2 side by side with room for a couple of bikes behind the quads. i could fit 4 quads on it side by side if they are stock width.
might be worth looking into. they are out there. i bought mine used from a lot here in michigan.

any flat trailer will work with the ranger. i've towed cars on trailers with mine. those little trucks can flat out haul some weight.

bwamos
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
As long as you get some sort of brake asssist on the larger trailer you will be fine.

It's not the towing that's the problem with smaller trucks (or my Wrangler).. it's the stopping on a gravel, or slick road that's the issue. ;) By slick, I just mean a little sand, or a light rain/dew.

esr250r86
04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
As long as you get some sort of brake asssist on the larger trailer you will be fine.

It's not the towing that's the problem with smaller trucks (or my Wrangler).. it's the stopping on a gravel, or slick road that's the issue. ;) By slick, I just mean a little sand, or a light rain/dew. Yeah, you just need brakes, i would get a tandem axle trailer if you could. A regular 17ft utility trailer should do the job. You will probably want to have some rails on your trailer to prevent from your bikes falling off.

Regular_Joe
04-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Well I don't want to have to get a brake system either ....

All the quads are stock width. The current lneup will be two 250ex's, a Recon, and a 400ex.

quad2xtreme
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
checkout www.loadrite.com for snowmobile trailers. Very lightweight. It is very easy to wire in electric brakes too.

/Jon

firefighterjosh
04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
My grandpa has a 7x16. Got it from TSC pulls fine with my ranger.

Or maybe its 8x16 I can not remember. But We fit a rancher, outty 400, 250ex and a 400ex on it with no problems.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
we have a doolittle we luv it www.doolittletrailer.com

my88r
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
we hae a 6-14 non tandem works fine with out brakes for 2 quads