PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Q?

maxitout77
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
If the red button is pushed down and the lever is pulled to enable reverse, can a 250EX still go through it forward gears with no ill effects?

I'm thinking of disabling the need to pull the lever for reverse by bolting or rigging the reverse wire in the open position. Would this work?

Please dont trash my idea, or ask me why I want to do this.

Thanx
-Max

300exOH
04-11-2007, 09:43 AM
The problem with rigging the red button is that it will allow the quad to go into reverse when you downshift. If you are still moving when it goes into reverse it could damage the trans.

I'm not sure what reverse wire you are referring to... but I haven't found a way yet to make the reverse process any easier on the 250ex.

maxitout77
04-11-2007, 10:57 AM
The reverse cable that is pulled when you pull the lever with the red button down.

I dont think it will go into reverse if you downshift from say, 3rd. It only goes into reverse from neutral correct? Ive been in 1st or 2nd and have needed reverse. I have the button down and the lever pulled and I still have to go through each gear and neutral to get to reverse. Are you saying, if the ATV is actually moving, it will jump strait to reverse? I Dont think it would.

My idea is really to have the cable in the "pulled" position at all times, that way you can go through gears normally, and if you need reverse, just keep clicking down?

300exOH
04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by maxitout77
The reverse cable that is pulled when you pull the lever with the red button down.

I dont think it will go into reverse if you downshift from say, 3rd. It only goes into reverse from neutral correct? Ive been in 1st or 2nd and have needed reverse. I have the button down and the lever pulled and I still have to go through each gear and neutral to get to reverse. Are you saying, if the ATV is actually moving, it will jump strait to reverse? I Dont think it would.

My idea is really to have the cable in the "pulled" position at all times, that way you can go through gears normally, and if you need reverse, just keep clicking down?

Yes but if you are moving and downshift to neutral it would be very easy to go past and hit reverse by mistake. It's not a chance I'd be willing to take.

maxitout77
04-12-2007, 05:10 AM
Looks like I will be the first to do this then!

My reverse cable is almost seized anway (owner before me). Also, I have a really hard believeing someone would accidently downshift from first to reverse, thats two clicks down. Even so, If you were at a speed that required 1st, you wouldn't be moving fast at all. worst case scenario you go into reverse, at that speed, no damage would be done.

Well, I'm going to try it anyway. If i have problems I can always revert back to stock.

maxitout77
04-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Update!!

I pulled the trigger on my idea last night and did it, awsome results. I removed the reverse cable completely, as well as the bracket that holds it to the motor. What I was left with a was the little reverse arm that gets pulled when you pull the lever. I took a bolt (about 1.5 inch) and put it through the cable end hole on the arm and tightened it down with a nut. The end of the bolt fits nicely into this little grove on the motor and holds the arm in the reverse position permenantly.

I took it for a test spin and no ill effects. You can go through all the gears normally, and if you need reverse, just click down. It's going to be a nice feature.

I'm not worriued about "accidentaly" going into reverse when downshifting, you would have top be pretty unskilled to pull that off.

red4ever
04-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by maxitout77
Update!!

I pulled the trigger on my idea last night and did it, awsome results. I removed the reverse cable completely, as well as the bracket that holds it to the motor. What I was left with a was the little reverse arm that gets pulled when you pull the lever. I took a bolt (about 1.5 inch) and put it through the cable end hole on the arm and tightened it down with a nut. The end of the bolt fits nicely into this little grove on the motor and holds the arm in the reverse position permenantly.

I took it for a test spin and no ill effects. You can go through all the gears normally, and if you need reverse, just click down. It's going to be a nice feature.

I'm not worriued about "accidentaly" going into reverse when downshifting, you would have top be pretty unskilled to pull that off. since when does downshifting aggressively mean ur an unskilled rider?! im gonna be laughing my *** off when you hit reverse going 20

maxitout77
04-27-2007, 05:36 AM
well red4ever, thanx for crapping on my discovery.

I agressively downshifted plenty or times, and Ive never even hit neutral. You dont have to be very skilled to realize one click equals one gear. I stick by by previous statement. You would have to be very unskilled to accidently downshift from any gear to neutral, and then again to reverse. The shifter on the 250ex moves like 3 inches, you should know every gear your in...

Plus, this quad is for my wifes use, there will be no aggressive downshifting on her part.