PDA

View Full Version : CR250 ignition questions

HondaATC500X
04-11-2007, 08:04 AM
OK Guys I just bought a CR250 ignition system for my 85 R and while looking it over this morning I found a few things I have some questions on. One, the coils mounting posts are metal which usually means they have to be grounded to the frame. Is that correct? Theres also a wire from one of the mounting posts, and another one from the harness that I'm assuming are both grounds. How are you guys mounting the coil, zip ties? :devil:

And...does anyone have a scan out of, or could post a wiring diagram so I can wire up my kill switch too? Thanks.

HondaATC500X
04-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Well if anyone searching runs across this thread, heres what I ended up doing.

On the grounds, the one coming out of the harness with a terminal I bolted to one of the side mounting posts of the coil. Then I ran the wire from the other post directly to the frame. On my kill switch I hooked the short (ground) wire from my Pro Armor kill switch to the black wire coming from the stator, and the longer hot wire to the black with white stripe coming from the stator. Works awesome, and the thing has so much spark now its insane.

I'm running mine on an ATC so I had to improvise the coil and CDI mounting. On the CDI I mounted it veritcally edge ways parallel with the main down tube from the steering neck with the plug pointed down towards the exhaust. The CDI was to wide to fit in there without being on its side, it would have kept the radiators from bolting back down to the frame flush. On the coil, I found a piece of rubber and squeeze it in between the frame and coil, and then zip-tied it into place. It also goes in long wise, plug wire towards the back of the machine. If I would have had to mount it any further away I would have had to splice in extensions for the wires cause its a little on the tight side now.