PDA

View Full Version : Average Salesman comission and pay

OutlawEX
04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I have a friend that just got offered a job at a local Honda shop to work in sales. He was offered to job and told to come up with where he was wanting to be on pay wise. I was just curious what the normal rate is for a skilled sales man at a Powersports dealer ship. His job title would be salesman for atv,boat,jetski,snomobile,dirtbike,motorcyle. I was looking for a more hourly pay and also what type of comission he should request with his hourly pay. He is very exsperianced in this work and was curious on input. Thanks

my88r
04-10-2007, 11:49 PM
isnt your pay based on how many bikes you sell

jrspawn
04-11-2007, 12:43 AM
There is alot more to most sales positions that deal with comission. Alot of places offer a certain "draw"(amount) that comes from a comission side monthly. Some places offer differnt amount rates for aggressive to average salesmen. You can loose your butt Very quickly in the sales game if your not on top of it also. I managed one of the largest Deere corp. on the coast here some time, and unfortunetly watched many salesmen ending up in the hole. Like said though, dif. companies are structured dif. but just let you friend know to look everything over and think it all out. They will make the sales position sound like a dream job with very good pay, but thats not always the case.

Justin

outacontrol
04-11-2007, 06:28 AM
well it just so happens thats what i do. I work at a premier 5 honda dealer which is the top level you can get, we also have Suzuki and Polaris. Just in Honda we sell about 100-120 units a month. There are 8 salesman at our store. Im paid 20% on gross profit. So if I sell a 450r, and the dealership makes $1000, I get $200. The problem with this industry is around every street corner is a bike shop now, so your forced to give everything away at invoice to get the sell which means you make more like $50 on average a sell. We can get paid hourly BUT its only if your commission amount isnt more than $300/wk. Which is a joke, I could make that flipping burgers. Its all on how aggresive you are, but even then you wont get rich on the income.

OutlawEX
04-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Well I guess he and the boss got talking today at his second interview and the boss said $10.50 an hour plus 1.9% comission on a 40 hr week. Also my other buddy works there and said they sold 4 bikes this week only. I was going to tell him to go for 10.50 an hour plus at least 10%. To me if the shop sells and makes $2000 dollars and he gets 1.9%,that is only 38 dollars. I think that is not enough. What do you guys think he should be asking for on top of the 10.50?

firefighterjosh
04-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Starter out you ussually do not make much you have to show that you can do a good job. I would assume after he shows that he is good at it he will get paid more

mephyst
04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I used to sell computer parts at Micro Center and I got paid $4.00 an hour plus 1.8% commission. I averaged $15 an hour... Wasn't bad when I was a junior and senior in high school. :p

OutlawEX
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
My Friend has a good rep for sales. He sold over $200,000 in sales last year at his previous job. So being good in sales is something he is a natural at