PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to college for?

Rootar
04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
This is aimed towards those who are entering college THIS fall 2007 or are in college now or who have already graduated.

how did you do during highschool (4yr GPA, act or sat score, blah blah)? where are you going to college what for? do you enjoy it? and have you had any experience actually working doing the job your going to college for. Do you like school and the field?

I'm graduating next month as an honor graduate with a 3.5 GPA and a 27 composite on my act that i took 3 times (once in 7th grade, once in 11th, and once this december). Im going to college at SAU tech for 2 years to get my associates degree in aviation maintence then transfering to Henderson State to get my bachelors of science in avaition maintence management and also to get my private pilot and instrutmental lisence to fly:D cant wait :macho i took my first flight last week in one of the new all glass cockpit planes (for those that dont know what this is, all the guages are ona big lcd in the plane cockpit instead of all mechanical) very cool.

sha_rob_27
04-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I graduated high school in 05' with a 3.85 GPA and now am at the Oregon Institute of Technology...Getting Two Bachelors...one in Mechanical Engineering Technology and the other in Manufacturing Engineering Technology...college is awesome man...i enojoy every minute of it...lots of work but its waaay better than high school...

Tommy 17
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
This is aimed towards those who are entering college THIS fall 2007 or are in college now or who have already graduated.

how did you do during highschool (4yr GPA, act or sat score, blah blah)? where are you going to college what for? do you enjoy it? and have you had any experience actually working doing the job your going to college for. Do you like school and the field?

highschool my gpa was a 89% (we didn't do 2 3 4 system) my SAT score was a 720 math and a 300 verbal i fell asleep during it... never took ACTS... i didn't try in h.s. i just did enouf to get by...

goin to college for Mechanical engineering at Penn State... i have a 3.23GPA in my junior year... I enjoy college life but its def not an easy major... u never get a break and all u do is homework compared to other joke majors... the saying is actually true that engineers are in the library while teachers and art majors are gettin trashed... i do get to party on weekends and thursday nights thou usually and its a good time...

I dont work as a mechanical engineer i do however work for PENNDOT ( PA DEPT OF TRANSPORTATION) as a civil engineering intern in the summer... its a kick *** job... I sleep in my truck on the side of the road and get paid alot of money to do it... then i get paid for mileage driving around the job site and to and from work... its really nice bc i have enouf money after a summers over to go and buy what ever i want! most people get jealous over it but hey i bust my *** at school i deserve a good paying job!

Rootar
04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
yea while im at SAU tech its all paid for and wont cost me squat, ill be living at home my first two years, ill find a part time job some where for monday-thursday (not much homework since FAA states that its to be observed in class studying and work practice) which will be totally perfect because ill have friday, saturday and sunday to race, ride, practice, or just help my dad around the place some. itll only be a 20 mintue drive for me to school. so it couldnt work out better really its 50/50 as far hands on hours versus book and class hours too.

tommy i was dead set on doing the engineering route, im great in math and science but i like to work more with my hands and i dont like being taught stuff i already know and i really dont know squat about avaition so im going in on a blank slate and so far its really been keeping my attention espically today when they magnetized a crank to look for microscopic cracks or developing cracks using liquid iron and then demagnetizing it. that was sweet.

400exracer511
04-11-2007, 12:06 AM
I had a 3.64 in high school, 24 on the ACT. Right now I'm going to the University of Iowa for Environmental Science. I have a little experience in this field as I work for the Iowa DNR in the summer. However I'm not sure if this is the major for me (I'm a freshman). I am considering going to a community college next fall to save money untill I decide on a major for sure. I am thinking on Industrial technology major with a business minor, but I'm just not sure right now.

As for me liking it... College is alot of work, I have found that the "college level" courses offered at my high school weren't anywhere near college level. Weeknight suck I spend most of them doing hours of homework. The weekends are great but I usually end up making the hour drive home to ride..

Props to anyone in engineering, I can hardly hack calculus 1, let alone 2 years of it.

DeerNuts
04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Graduated HS in 2004 w/ a 94% or so, no real idea what GPA that is. 32 ACT/1170 SAT.

Rite now Im a political science major at PSU. Minor in history for the hell of it. Cum GPA 3.85 It's a pretty easy major... this summer I'm working for our Congressman, and then this September I'll be applying to law school.

It gives you some time to party, but at this point in the semester I have little time for that, plus it tends to drag you down at this point... or at least def. doesnt help w/ projects coming up/finals pretty soon.
Im sure Tommy knows what I mean haha.

I absolutely love it here. Only problem is just one more year left and then 3 years of hell begins...

killerofcrows48
04-11-2007, 09:22 AM
i took my first flight last week in one of the new all glass cockpit planes (for those that dont know what this is, all the guages are ona big lcd in the plane cockpit instead of all mechanical) very cool.

you aint kidding, they are WAY cool. My brother took me up in one and i loved it, even got some video of my house

87250rxrider
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
i graduated from the 4th hardest high school in the country with a GPA of around a 3.0 in 2006. i am currently attending WCSU and enrolled as a Biochemistry major. as a biochem major i am required to take the hardest sciences offered, and it is rather difficult to keep up with the course load, and to keep the grades up as well. i currently have a GPA of around a 3.3-3.5 for the spring semester.
college is one of the best experiences of your life, but it is also very hard, so you have to learn to manage time very effectively. overall, students seem to do much better the second semester and from then on, b/c over time you learn to manage time better.
all i can say to you is try your best, don't party too much, but have fun. keep an eye on your GPA at all times, and if you have trouble, seek help.
good luck to all incoming freshmen for the fall 2007 semester.

-Ryan

mineralgrey01gt
04-11-2007, 10:19 AM
didnt give a rats a** in high school so i just did enough to graduate. Going to college for Radiology tech. Good enough living for me, just started the college, have 2 years left which isnt bad. I graduated in 04 took off a year to work and goof off. Wish i wouldnt have done that...

parkers30
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
3.4 or something close with all honors classes in high shool (unweighted scale), 29 on my ACT, maintaining a 3.27 in college which is a 90% by on out weird grading scale

Going for my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering at Kettering University. I really like the major, but it is a pain, work all the time and rediculously time consuming projects every time you turn around. I work my butt of during the week and party all weekend. On the plus side I have one more school term left and I'll be done in September. All the hard classes are already done with, just a thesis and 2 more classes to get through.

I have been co-oping since I started almost 4 years ago and I like the work for the most part. I have been working on a few different design contracts for the school is which is pretty cool andd really good experience.

440exnacsracer
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
3.33 in high school, goofed off all the time. 1100 SAT, one attempt and partied the night before like an idiot. i was a mechanical engineering major, until i decided i really didnt want to have anything to do with calculus for the rest of my life. went business mgmt and getting a minor in surveying since i already have the engineering courses to do so. if i can get my GPA up high enough by the time i graduate, i plan on going to law school at UGA. currently at Georgia Southern University (#4 party school in the country) and i love every minute of it. i work as a technician at the Honda dealer here in town, so its not really major related, but i have fun. also a certified Honda tech as of last month. in case you cant tell, i dont have a clue what i want to do when i graduate, but hopefully ill be prepared for whatever it is