PDA

View Full Version : a must have oil for the 400

dragex400
04-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I currently just changed my oil and filter. I used amsoil 20w 50 fully synthetic. A friend of mine owns a performance shop and builds race engines for flat track racing. He recently just tore down a 450 that he used amsoil 20 50 with the anticipation of a rebuild.(like I said he builds race engines and they are only built to last one season if everything works well) He showed me pics of the honing marks still in the cylinder and the piston still had the teflon coating on it. The engine looked brand new and had been rode very hard for an entire race season. I put the amsoil 20w 50 in my 400 and the difference is unimaginable. The clutch and shifting is so much smoother and the engine noise was reduced greatly. I highly recomend the amsoil 20w 50 and I will try to post those pics on here. You won't believe the difference this stuff makes. I think I paid like 21$ for two quarts of oil and a filter. Anybody else have any experience with oil?

ohsobad_chevy
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I agree to a certain extent........amsoil is #1 in synthetics, but then again, it all boils down to proper care by the owner......whether it be synthetic or conventional oil. :cool:

rescue6
04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
I agree to a certain extent........amsoil is #1 in synthetics, but then again, it all boils down to proper care by the owner......whether it be synthetic or conventional oil. :cool:

AMEN ! Brother

Take care of your rides. I hate looking at all of the picks of bikes that people trash by lack of routine maint. and cleaning dont people understand the damage water and mud cause to a bike if not rinsed off and dried. And then lubed . Preventive maintenance goes a long way on a bike or quad. at least change the oil and filter clean you airfilter routinely and lube and adjust your chain and other moving parts.

GlowBoy
04-11-2007, 01:10 AM
I agree, I don't AMSoil but I do run Mobil 1 full synthetic. I have ridden the 400 hard 4 years, it doesn't use a lick of oil. The only time it does is when I am riding slow. Going over bogs, creeping along thru tight woods. Then everyone once in a great while I will see a small puff of blue. :macho

quad71
04-11-2007, 01:51 AM
i have 440ex and synth makes my clutch slip. your buddys 450 was it a honda they have 1 oil for piston side and 1 for trans side they call for moly on piston side and reg on clutch. or semi

firefighterjosh
04-11-2007, 04:09 AM
I have had problems with it and my clutches. I just stick with my trusty Maxima;)

Hondahoo2
04-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Depends which synthetic you use, they are not all the same. Some don't have friction modifiers, some do.
I use Amzoil 0w-40 and my clutch does not slip. Says right on it clutch safe, formulated for wet clutch.

Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports
0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF)
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil (AFF) is specially formulated for four-stroke recreational motors, ATVs and snowmobiles. Reduces wear. Wet clutch compatible. Contains no friction modifiers. Broad viscosity range makes it excellent for use in both hot and cold weather conditions.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/aff_qt_350pxh.jpg
Resists Heat and Thermal Breakdown
AMSOIL engineered Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil to withstand the high temperatures of recreational engines. It effectively resists oxidation and oil vaporization to prevent carbon/varnish formation, control oil consumption and minimize exhaust emissions. AMSOIL AFF controls oil thickening for good fuel economy, and it keeps engines clean for peak operating efficiency.

Excellent For Transmissions
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports Oil is wet clutch compatible and contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for both two- and four-stroke ATV transmissions. The friction modifier-free formulation is designed to prevent clutch slippage, delivering maximum torque and power to the wheels – a critical feature for towing or high-horsepower engines. AMSOIL AFF meets the frictional requirements of JASO MA/MA2.

Superior Wear Protection
AMSOIL AFF is formulated with high levels of anti-wear additives that provide excellent protection for pistons, bearings and gears in transmission containing units, while its shear stable, SAE 40 viscosity delivers a thick lubricating film for an extra margin of protection in hard working engines.

Anti-Foam
Churning occurs in high RPM engines that can cause oil to foam, depleting its lubricating abilities and increasing heat and wear. AMSOIL AFF controls foam, promoting cooler engine operation and reduced wear.

Special Additives
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil contains robust dispersant/detergent additives that effectively neutralize the high levels of acids and combustion by-products prone to small engines. And it is anti-rust fortified for superior rust prevention, which is especially important in seasonally or infrequently used power sports equipment.

Applications and Recommendations
AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for four-stroke engines and transmissions on two- or four-stroke powered applications. It is an all climate/all season oil that replaces 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 oils for ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and other power sports equipment. Manufacturers include Polaris®, Honda®, Yamaha®, Ski-Doo®, Can-Am® (Bombardier®), Suzuki®, Kawasaki® and Arctic Cat®.

API SL/CF, SJ, SH, SG • JASO MA/MA2

dragex400
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Thats the oil I'm talking about. They use the 0w 40 in the winter and the 20w 50 in the summer. This stuff is great.

prnstr4life
04-11-2007, 02:17 PM
MY LOCAL SHOPS DONT HAVE IT.....DO I HAVE TO ORDER DIRECT??

Honda#4
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been looking into this oil for the last couple days and so far people swear by it, but the thing that gets me is the price on the amzoil website they want $9 a quart for the stuff, talk about making money.

NeedsaYfz
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Nevermind started a new thread to avoid highjacking. I use amsoil.

js600
04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
i work at a shop and we carry amsoil in stock. the stuff is the best. i haven't tried it in my 400 yet but it's in my street bike, truck and wifes car. you can actually feel a difference in power. as for the price 9.00 isn't too bad retail. my cost is 6.50.

Hondahoo2
04-12-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda#4, not sure where in WI you are, but if there is a Fleet Farm around you, they sell it at a good price, I think $7.89.

A couple automotive places sell it around here from $7.89 to $8.50, I"ve never seen it $9.
There are online dealers, but then you will probaby get stuck with shipping.

I know the price hurts, but once you go Amzoil, you don't go back. Its worth the price. I'm hooked on it, specially if your only buying 2 qts. But I put it in all my quads and its proven to me over the years to be worth the price. But I live in a cold climate where the wide viscosity rating really makes sense.
The cold starts are noticably better! Its definately much cheaper to buy good oil then rebuild your engine.
I've noticed it stays cleaner much longer.
I've overheated my V-twin Prairie severely, blown head gaskets twice and I think the Amzoil saved my engine.

Plus its manufactured in, and distributed from Superior Wisconsin, nice to buy a local American high quality product!

:macho

CDCHONDAS
04-13-2007, 08:58 AM
good product but I hate the company, its way to easy to become a dealer. If they got some gumption and cleaned house and distributed oil like most companies I might sell their stuff again but multi-level marketing is a joke.

Hondahoo2
04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
You can buy it from them direct, by the case its a pretty good price actually, but a $96 commitment. Otherwise its ?$8.05/qt which is better then some stores.
Not sure about shipping though.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=11