PDA

View Full Version : have some questions about building my 04 motor.....

RATHRACING450R
04-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I never really paid attention to what people did to their 450r motors, since i concentrate more on suspension. I've had my 450 for two years, and when i got it it already had the hrc kit in it, and WAS plenty fast for me. I have since added a LRD pro 4 full system. I know some guys where running crf ignitions and wiring harnesses... how do you do this? what do you buy and does it do anything? also wondering about a piston, I want something that will be very reliable, and something i can run half race gas and half pump with. So what comp. would i go with? 13:1? I was thinking about porting and polishing, but it just seems like money wasted to me when i could get something else i need... or am i wrong? Boring is out of the question though, I WILL NOT bore any of my quads ever. I've seen what it has done for reliability to my friends quads....

Thanks for the help guys!

Nick

400exrider707
04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by RATHRACING450R
I never really paid attention to what people did to their 450r motors, since i concentrate more on suspension. I've had my 450 for two years, and when i got it it already had the hrc kit in it, and WAS plenty fast for me. I have since added a LRD pro 4 full system. I know some guys where running crf ignitions and wiring harnesses... how do you do this? what do you buy and does it do anything? also wondering about a piston, I want something that will be very reliable, and something i can run half race gas and half pump with. So what comp. would i go with? 13:1? I was thinking about porting and polishing, but it just seems like money wasted to me when i could get something else i need... or am i wrong? Boring is out of the question though, I WILL NOT bore any of my quads ever. I've seen what it has done for reliability to my friends quads....

Thanks for the help guys!

Nick

On the CRF setup Im not sure on the specifics, but it usually requires the wire harness, the carb, the flywheel, and the ignition if Im not mistaken and runs somewhere near $500 and doesn't really help all that much, from reports that I have heard.

Piston I would go JE 13:1

Boring will not cause you to lose reliability, but the 450R cylinders are NiCaSil cylinders and when bored, need to be replated, which is why most just buy a new cylinder matched to their overbore piston.

Being that it is two years old, what have you done to it so far? If nothing I would definitely pull it apart and replace the crank bearings, and rod bearing, if not a new crank with the updated sleeves to retain the bearings. ($190 from servicehonda.)

chad502ex
04-11-2007, 08:32 AM
good questions. Many have these very type of questions.

Stick with stock bore.

Get a new cylinder cause the cost for new is about the same as replate.

CRF Ignitions are not worth any power gains. These have been measured on the dyno to provide zero power gain. spend your money elsewhere.

Piston and cam combination determines fuel octane requirements. Anything up to 14:1 with HRC you should be able to run 50/50 mix. Bladwin 14:1 piston is a great piston, so is the CP Industries 13.5:1 Race Piston. My new 15:1 piston will be available to the public shortly.

Porting is one link in the intake chain that can really add gains to a setup and set you apart from the field of others. Most builders charge under $400 to port. For the average rider, porting may not be necessary, but if your competitive with your friends or race it's worth it imo- it can get you out front... hehe.

All rolls down to this: good cam, good pipe, good high compression piston, good porting is all that is really needed for over 50hp.

RATHRACING450R
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
good questions. Many have these very type of questions.

Stick with stock bore.

Get a new cylinder cause the cost for new is about the same as replate.

CRF Ignitions are not worth any power gains. These have been measured on the dyno to provide zero power gain. spend your money elsewhere.

Piston and cam combination determines fuel octane requirements. Anything up to 14:1 with HRC you should be able to run 50/50 mix. Bladwin 14:1 piston is a great piston, so is the CP Industries 13.5:1 Race Piston. My new 15:1 piston will be available to the public shortly.

Porting is one link in the intake chain that can really add gains to a setup and set you apart from the field of others. Most builders charge under $400 to port. For the average rider, porting may not be necessary, but if your competitive with your friends or race it's worth it imo- it can get you out front... hehe.

All rolls down to this: good cam, good pipe, good high compression piston, good porting is all that is really needed for over 50hp.

thanks for the tips chad. I know that you know alot about the 450r motors, so i'll ask you. Does the crank bearing problem happen in ALL 04's? I have put HARD hours on my 04 in the past two years that i have had it, and no problems yet. Am i in for a treat later down the road? or should i just not worry about it? completely dismantleing my motor to replace bearings doesn't sound like my type of fun, haha

RATHRACING450R
04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
On the CRF setup Im not sure on the specifics, but it usually requires the wire harness, the carb, the flywheel, and the ignition if Im not mistaken and runs somewhere near $500 and doesn't really help all that much, from reports that I have heard.

Piston I would go JE 13:1

Boring will not cause you to lose reliability, but the 450R cylinders are NiCaSil cylinders and when bored, need to be replated, which is why most just buy a new cylinder matched to their overbore piston.

Being that it is two years old, what have you done to it so far? If nothing I would definitely pull it apart and replace the crank bearings, and rod bearing, if not a new crank with the updated sleeves to retain the bearings. ($190 from servicehonda.)

i have had the quad for a little over two years now, and all I have done was add the LRD full system. The quad had the HRC kit installed when i got it. I was thinking of a JE piston too. I had a wiseco in my old 300ex. it was O.K, but i've seen how many guys run je so i'd like to try one.

j_cyrus3
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
thanks for the tips chad. I know that you know alot about the 450r motors, so i'll ask you. Does the crank bearing problem happen in ALL 04's? I have put HARD hours on my 04 in the past two years that i have had it, and no problems yet. Am i in for a treat later down the road? or should i just not worry about it? completely dismantleing my motor to replace bearings doesn't sound like my type of fun, haha

replace them while it's torn down, mine just grenaded on me and it cost me about 1000$ or a little over.

TWILES
04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
The CRF set-up is $1000 for everything you need for the ignition swap. You can use the carb but it I don't know anyone who makes a thumb throttle cable for it plus you have to get an adaptor for the airbox boot. The FCR from Baldwin is $800 and it comes with a clutch lever and perch with the hot-start lever on it for the FCR and comes with a thumb throttle cable and hot-start cable and adaptor for the airbox boot. If you do those two things with a higher compression piston and you will have a HOT motor. I don't know dyno runs but I rode one with that and the HRC (cam only pretty much) and there was no comparison to a stock one. I can't imagine what porting would do from there. It would be $1,800 for you since you have the HRC cam and I assume a pipe already. I'd love to put that stuff in my wife's but I need 1800 in a few other places.

chad502ex
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM

yea, no need to worry about something nobody can predict.... just buy the quad and have fun...