PDA

View Full Version : warrior question....dont be mad

warriorrider11
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Yo, sorry raptor riders, but the warrior forum sucks, and I need an answer, and raptors seem to be the next closest thing to a warrior, so dont chew me out. I have an 87 warrior, and it starts, idles, runs fine, until it gets to high RPMs, anytime I get up into high RPMs it kind of sputters and bogs down , almost like the choke it on, but its not. I am kinda of new to this, so any ideas as to what might be wrong? Jetting maybe? I dont know, I just bought this quad. thanks raptor guys.

TJ

QUADMASTER
04-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Sounds like it could be a jetting problem,does it have any kind of performance parts like an exhaust or something,it could be starving for gas.check your air filter to,my 300ex i had did that and the air filter was real dirty.

warriorrider11
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I have reason to believe it has a crappy cobra pipe, but I dont know. The air filter does look dirty, I'll clean it, see what happens

QUADMASTER
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Well if it has a pipe you think,then it may not have been jetted right,but clean the filter first,i could be wrong,but i would still try.Never know.

warriorrider11
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I have a feeling it may be running rich, because it seems to be builing up black carbon on the pipe more then it ever did. When I first bought it, the guy said it needed new carb floats, which I put in before I ever started it, could that have something to do with it? what about it leaking where the head pipe meets the head?

QUADMASTER
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Well if it's leaking where the headpipe bolts up,thast not helpin,but it wouldnt blow black smoke from that.my raptor was blowing black smoke when i got on the gas hard like on the track or something,and i adjusted the needle,and rejetted it and it cleared it out quite a good bit,but not all the way.

warriorrider11
04-11-2007, 01:45 PM
yea, well i cleaned the filter, and ran it for a minute with just no filter, and it didnt make much of a difference. I just remembered, I cant believe I forgot, but when I first got it the guy said it needed new carb floats, which he had, just not installed, so I put them in. should I have adjusted something? like the needle? if so, how do I do that?

QUADMASTER
04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah it's possible the needle was out of adjustment and needs tuning.The floats should be ok but not sure really.Could you tell me what size main jet is in it?

warriorrider11
04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I would love to, but I have no idea where it is. I'll get my buddy to come over and check it out. is there a way to adjust the needle?

QUADMASTER
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
yeah,but tell me what size jet it is when u get a chance

warriorrider11
04-18-2007, 08:58 AM
ok, so I got the old jet out, and it was beat up, probably from the dumb previous owner, anyway it was a 145, so I went and bought a 142.5 and 140, I'm going to try the 142.5 tonight, see what happens. I was thinking it was running rich, but after thinking on it more, because it is sputtering at high RPM, now I am thinking that means I need a bigger jet because it is sucking more fuel at higher rpms, and thats when it is sputtering. I'll let ya know what the 142.5 does tonight.

warriorrider11
04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
well, I fired it up tonight, and it started to idle at like half throttle rpms, even with the idle all the way out. so what does that mean? too lean?

QuadRacer18
04-19-2007, 12:43 PM
yo TJ, its josh... I checked some info out and found that stock jetting is 145, which is what you took out. Now, i know that the airfilter is a K&N which would require you to rejet right there, and i do think that the exhasut is a cobra... i took a look at a stock one and a cobra and it resembles a cobra. so, if your running a cobra pipe and a k&N filter, that would mean you are way to lean, not rich. Going to a 142.5 is even more lean. Id go up and try a main around 148-150 and see how that is. Also, i dunno if the needle would have much to do with your situation. you said that it boggs out at high rpm's, which in turn would affect your main jet, not needle or pilot jet. Id say put a 148-150 main i and see how it is from there. Also buy a seal for the exhaust because that could be sucking some air (not too much of your problem but it can lead to problems)let me know, ill try to come over friday night after i get the 450r and help you.

sdbrown12388
04-25-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't know if you've fixed the problem yet, but if you haven't and still can't figure it out, you might want to check to see if the parking brake is stuck on, even if your parking brake doesn't work it could still be stuck. the parking brake is somehow electronically attached to the carbuerator which will cause that bogging problem. I know i had that problem on my '98 but yours is older so its parking brake might not be electronically connected to the carb

warriorrider11
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Well heres the story. I rejetted, and it helped, but it still sputters. Then after messing around with it for a bit, gas started pouring out of the overflow in the carb, the needle valve connected to the carb float is bad. We tried tuning the mixture screw, but it wont budge, and the idle screw doesnt seem to do much of anything. So I am pretty much going to trash this carb and get a new one, at least one that adjusts haha. Im going to see what it does, but the thing just has no power, like I cant get into 5th/6th gear cus it just....doesnt have the power to. Im thinking the whole top end needs a re-build, it is an 87, I dont know if it has ever been re-built.

Now the parking brake thing is interesting, the quad seems to have some random wires that arent connected to anything, but did 87s even have a parking brake switch? because there are no wires going to the carb. this thing needs some sever TLC.

TJ