PDA

View Full Version : another broken frame - fix or scrap?

vetteblues10
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
alright well last fall i broke the frame to my 400ex while riding at the badlands. just doing so small jumps and thought i felt the landings were a little too ruff. looked down and saw the plastic was crooked. check under the frame and this is what i saw...

vetteblues10
04-10-2007, 08:17 PM

vetteblues10
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
so yeah it is pretty bad. luckly the bottom did not break all the way through so i was able to ride up to the shop. they had a welder on staff (pretty cool good old boy) who help me out. with a little bending we were able to get the frame straight. he threw down some monster welds for 20 bucks and i was able to ride the rest of the day.

vetteblues10
04-10-2007, 08:23 PM

vetteblues10
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM

vetteblues10
04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
rode it this winter, just avoided the jumps. now the this last weekend i broke the nerf bars (was already cracked). so i feel like now is the time to fix everything up right. i just need some opinions about what i should do with this frame. should i get another used frame off ebay or the forum? or invest in this frame (gusset and powdercoating)? i am still in college and can not spend a ton. i would go with either pappy or bare performance (directly) to do the welding and powdercoating in one swoop. again any advice would be awesome. thanks guys.

gotwarrior
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I would say its time to be looking on e-bay for a new frame.. look at the bright side.. Scrap Prices are ^^^UP^^^:D :D :D

allstock
04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
same happened with mine. i cant afford a new frame so im just gonna keep welding it.

underpowered
04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
i would get a new frame from e-bay or off here. a weld can only do so much and if you rode it hard enough to break that you will just break the welds as well.

zrpilot
04-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Time for a different frame...

Welds done CORRECTLY should be stronger then the parent metal...

Alot of colds welds will NOT equal one weld with the proper preparation and penetration.

sc400ex_rider
04-11-2007, 05:17 AM
i would get a new frame and gusset it. if you were landing harshly with elkas you were skyin it. does any one else have pics of broken frames cause i see 4 spots i will be gussetting.:eek2: what are other problem areas?

vetteblues10
04-11-2007, 05:33 AM
thanks for the advice guys, just what i was looking for. alright i guess i will start looking for another frame. this one has served me well. i would love to see how many hours are actually on it. so if the frame lasted this long with now mods, i guess honda did something right. now, new or used? i see some very nice looking frames off ebay for in the $400 range. used ones sometimes go for less. now i am a little skeptical of getting a used frame since they could likely be already beginning to crack. and i don't have the money to get a new frame powdercoated and gusseted right a way (have to wait at least to the winter). so hook me up with some recommendations and i will start asking in the parts section.

j450rking
04-11-2007, 06:48 AM
well if you can find a used one in good shape then get a used one but if not get new and try and gusseted and powder coated right away

hondaracer_34
04-11-2007, 07:50 AM
hey vetteblues 10 where do you normally ride? i live in Butler not too far from rome city..im going to be moving in with my grandparents for a little while in wolcottville...we should meet up and go riding sometime..pm me so we can talk more i also have a 400ex..

eganracing
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
i cracked my frame at both upper shock mounts like u did and i ended up buying another frame off of ebay. it was $400 plus shipping. It had a fresh powder coat and gussets everywhere. the one i got had a subframe too so it seemed like a good deal to me.

vetteblues10
04-14-2007, 12:14 PM
well i bought a used frame off of ebay. it is out of a parted 2004, hope it turns out ok. i got a friend is a pretty mean welder, so i think i will get him to put in some gussets (home made or baught). then throw down a can or two of spray and hold off on the powdercoating till next winter. thanks for all the advice guys.

REDRIDDER
04-15-2007, 05:05 AM
not to be a jerk but are those welds done by some one just learning how to weld lol.those welds are going to break again ill bet my pay check on it.like zrpilot said you want correct (welds)penetration consistent continues weld, looks to me that there was no real preparation done before they were welded and if your going to go the route your going then yeah buy another frame,but the cheaper way out is to bring the frame to your machine shop have them cut out the old material and weld in the new.but i will say the guy that did weld it for you so you could get her back home is a good man in my book, I'm just saying to get them welded right the first time and the sounds of it you should probably gusset your frame the gusset kit can be found on none other than frickin ebay i think the manufacture is call bare performance i think.good luck ,hope to have give you some ideas

vetteblues10
04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
yeah like i said the guy at the shop just hooked me up so i could ride the rest of the day. i hauled a trailer down with 5 other guys. my frame broke like 45 minutes into the day. so i was just happy to keep riding. it would have been a long day just sitting at the truck. have heard the bare kits are nice, and i would like to support the indiana economy. ha.

GYOGI65
04-15-2007, 05:19 PM
REBUILT A2000 400EX FRAME WAS BROKE IN SAME SPOTS MADE MY GUSSETS OUT OF SCRAP WELDED IN WITH 110 VOLT MIG AND HAD PAINTED.I HAVE, BEEN IN TRUCKS AND CARS AND POWDERCOAT MAY BE OK BUT I SEEM TO FIND THAT ONE CHIP CAN ALLOW ELEMENTS UNDER POWDECOAT AND LIFT IT PAINT SEEMS TO HOLD BETTER AND BE EASIER TO FIX