PDA

View Full Version : 250ex carb trouble

400exStar
04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Ok I'm an Idiot when it comes to carbs. My wife's 250ex runs OK but on decel it sputters some.

My question is this. there are 2 screws...... I dont know which is which.

the one on the side of the carb that affects how far down the main jet goes is called what?

the smaller screw Underneath the carb is called what?

Which one affects the Idle and which one affects the fuel mixture?

Which one will stop the sputtering on decel?

Thanks in advance for your help.... seriously:confused:

400exStar
04-11-2007, 08:31 AM
bump

ryanh250ex
04-11-2007, 10:03 AM
You havent given much in the way of details but i can try to help.

Assuming the bike is stock, the sputtering is probably from an improperly adjusted fuel screw . If you're sitting on the bike, this is the screw that is in the front of the carb. you'll recognize it by it being a total pain in the ***** to get to. screw it out 180 degrees at a time and see it if gets any better.

the screw on the side of the carb is the idle screw. This affects what level your idle is at.

the screw at the bottom of the carb is the drain screw. dont touch it :D

A lean (too small of a main) or rich (too big of a main) can also both cause sputtering on decel. Go to the sub-350cc forum and go to the 250ex section, I made a FAQ over there that has all sorts of jetting recommendations and so on.

Hope I've helped.
-Ryan

400exStar
04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the lack of Info.

Yes it is a bone stock 05 250ex.

Ok so the screw on the side is the Idle screw. (i've ordered a clymer Manual will be here on Friday but in the mean time you know how it is. just gotta screw with it).

The screw that I referred to on the bottom of the carb isnt actually on the bottom. It is actually under the carb just before the carb meets the motor. It is a major pain in the ***** to get to but I dont think it is the drain because it isnt actually on the bottom of the bowl. directly above that screw, there is a a very small hole going into the throat of the carb. (a jet I assume).

Thanks again for your help. I know I will fig it out Friday when My manual gets here but I cant stand not messing with it.

Doug

Colby@C&DRacing
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
That screw is the fuel screw and can be turned out 1/2 to 1 turn to help with the popping on deceleration

400exStar
04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it. She seems to be running smoothly now. My wife will be happy.:D