PDA

View Full Version : This sucks......

Rich250RRacer
04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I bought my '07 kicker on Feb 17th, started adding all my goodies, IMS tank, chassis skid, GT Thunder revalves, HRC kit, bars and a few other things. All of this before the quad was EVER ridden. When I started it up for the first time after installing the HRC kit and took a quick spin around the neighborhood, I come back to find a nice trail of antifreeze down the bottom of the chassis skid. Sure enough, it's coming out of the weep hose, so back to the dealer it goes. Seems kinda strange on a brand new quad, anybody else had any trouble like this?

04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
That's a bummer.

Rootar
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
do you mean weep hole on the right side case under the water pump cover, if its that your outer seal on your water pump is bad, check your tranny side oil and if it has coolant in it then both the inner and outter seals are badd and inhaerantly your bearing will need to be replaced also because the coolant had to go thru it to get through the inner seal, and to be safe replace the shaft too, also switch a better coolant such as engine ice or liqiud performance these will help after youve replace teh water pump parts i stated.

Rich250RRacer
04-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
do you mean weep hole on the right side case under the water pump cover, if its that your outer seal on your water pump is bad, check your tranny side oil and if it has coolant in it then both the inner and outter seals are badd and inhaerantly your bearing will need to be replaced also because the coolant had to go thru it to get through the inner seal, and to be safe replace the shaft too, also switch a better coolant such as engine ice or liqiud performance these will help after youve replace teh water pump parts i stated.

Yes it is coming out of the weep hole, I know what it is, that wasn't the point of the thread. I'm perfectly capable of changing it myself, which I would prefer to do, but that's what the warranty is for. Why should I pay for the parts? It just seemed really odd that it would happen to a brand new quad. It actually only has about 10 minutes of run time on it, hasn't even seen the dirt yet. As far as Engine Ice or any of the other coolants go, I don't feel there's enough gain. I have nine other liquid-cooled quads and bikes, and they all run regular antifreeze with no problems.

Rich250RRacer
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
inhaerantly your bearing will need to be replaced also because the coolant had to go thru it to get through the inner seal,

That's wrong, coolant has to get past the inner seal to get to the bearing. The bearing is lubed by transmission oil.

400ex45
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
did you try to run it allittle longer because at the dealership i work at we have a few that leak out of the weep hole when they first start up but then we run them alittle bit and it stops. sometimes they just need to seat in.

Rich250RRacer
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by 400ex45
did you try to run it allittle longer because at the dealership i work at we have a few that leak out of the weep hole when they first start up but then we run them alittle bit and it stops. sometimes they just need to seat in.

I started and ran it a couple of times and brought it up to temp, but it didn't stop.

esr250r86
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
That's wrong, coolant has to get past the inner seal to get to the bearing. The bearing is lubed by transmission oil. Yeah, Mine was leaking through the inner seal. That sucks. I dont think a brand new quad should do that, maybe you have to break it in though?

Rich250RRacer
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by esr250r86
Yeah, Mine was leaking through the inner seal. That sucks. I dont think a brand new quad should do that, maybe you have to break it in though?

I knew that running it to break it in would be a long shot, but that's why I tried running it a few times. It's a mechanical seal, the same as a 250R, which I've installed a few times, and I've never had one leak when new or need time to seat in. It went to the dealer Monday, Honda can pay for this one :D