PDA

View Full Version : need to make the right decision....

2001400exrider
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Im going to be ordering an 07 450r soon and cant decide for the life of me to either get the electric start or kicker model........:confused: I have read things like the 450er has a little bit slower timming to be able to incorperate the electric start...and not to mention the extra few pounds for the battery assembly. will i regret it if i get the electric start. why wouldnt honda just make a model with kicker and electric start..lol..:rolleyes: whats turning me off from getting the kicker model is the fact that im seeing crackd cases. is this just from people starting thier bike with WOT. will i be able to just kick start it safly forever and not have my case crack? I have been debating this for the last few weeks and cant make a final decsion....PLEASE HELP ME MAKE ONE.:ermm:

d3ktrix
04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Cracking the case on the kickers only happens if you hit the gas while kicking it. Which makes the kicker kick back up.

Pressing the gas on the elec start is also what makes them fail. But they can also fail from normal use.

I have an 05 kicker and you couldn't pay me to switch to an elec start.

The elec failure is much more common then the kickers cracking the case. But if it does fail, honda will replace the parts for free.
Also like you said, less weight, no battery to worry about, less wires.
And I never have to turn my key off =)

HAKKATTACK
04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I would get the electric and install a back-up kicker myself...if your gonna race then i would depend on the elec start...on my 07 the starter is pretty weak

d3ktrix
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by HAKKATTACK
I would get the electric and install a back-up kicker myself...if your gonna race then i would depend on the elec start...on my 07 the starter is pretty weak

Did you mean to say you would depend on the kick start? If not, you contradicted ur self by saying the elec start is weak right after it :P

esr250r86
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Did you mean to say you would depend on the kick start? If not, you contradicted ur self by saying the elec start is weak right after it :P Yeah,thats what I was thinking. I have a kicker and I have not had any problems with it yet. Seems pretty dependable.

2001400exrider
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
alright im pretty sure im going to go with the kicker, unless anyone can convince me of otherwise, it just seems like a better choice. how many kicks does it ussaly start up with? do u pump the throttle a few times before kickin it over? that wont attribute to the case cracking rite? sorry for all the dumb questions, i just gotta be absolutly sure.

ckasper18
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
There are no kickers left in hondas inventory unless your dealer has one on the showroom floor you wont be getting one

wykyd450R
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
On a cold start, I hit the gas 3 to 4 times, and choke it. It usually takes anywhere from 1 to 3 kicks. Once warmed up, It usually starts 1-2 kicks every time, with the hot start pushed. You'll see what works for you when ya get it.

2001400exrider
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18
There are no kickers left in hondas inventory unless your dealer has one on the showroom floor you wont be getting one

i really cant see this being true.....i will call the dealers around me tomrow though to confirm this....if it was true then honda should take the kicker model off their website becuz that would be false advertising....

HAKKATTACK
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I meant to put i WOULDNT** depend on the Electrc start

d3ktrix
04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 2001400exrider
alright im pretty sure im going to go with the kicker, unless anyone can convince me of otherwise, it just seems like a better choice. how many kicks does it ussaly start up with? do u pump the throttle a few times before kickin it over? that wont attribute to the case cracking rite? sorry for all the dumb questions, i just gotta be absolutly sure.

No, don't pump the throttle before you kick it, that just loads the cylinder up with fuel.
That can still cause a kick back.

If your bike is tuned right, you won't need to hit the gas before or durning kicking.

Proper slow jet, valve/decomp clearance.

My bike can sit for weeks, and even on cold starting with the coke on, start the first or 2nd kick.
And when its warm it almost always starts the first kick.
The only time I need to use the hot start is if I had been running it REALLY hard and then shut it off.

The only time I noticed I had to start depending on the hot start more frequently was when my valves needed to be adjusted. Which was after about 6 months of riding.
After I swapped my cam, and got the valve clearances perfect. I haven't touched the hot start since.

But yeah, 06 kickers can be hard to find. Everyone wants them and Honda didn't make as many as they did the elec.

Sjorge450R
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
No, don't pump the throttle before you kick it, that just loads the cylinder up with fuel.
That can still cause a kick back.

If your bike is tuned right, you won't need to hit the gas before or durning kicking.

Proper slow jet, valve/decomp clearance.

My bike can sit for weeks, and even on cold starting with the coke on, start the first or 2nd kick.
And when its warm it almost always starts the first kick.
The only time I need to use the hot start is if I had been running it REALLY hard and then shut it off.

The only time I noticed I had to start depending on the hot start more frequently was when my valves needed to be adjusted. Which was after about 6 months of riding.
After I swapped my cam, and got the valve clearances perfect. I haven't touched the hot start since.

But yeah, 06 kickers can be hard to find. Everyone wants them and Honda didn't make as many as they did the elec.

the pumping of the gas helps alot and will not cause kick back. I used to get kick back when i hit the gas while kicking. Now that i pump 3 times prior to kicking, i have NEVER had it kick back.

ckasper18
04-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Just checked here in the states and the kickers are soldout for 2007 none left in warehouses may be different story in Canada from what my honda sales rep tells me.Only way to get one is if another dealer has one on the showroom floor i never had a problem with my electric start works fine.

250xridamatt
04-11-2007, 07:44 PM
When cold, I just turn on the choke, and kick it. It starts the second kick every time. That is even with a higher compression piston.

BlaineKaiser450
04-11-2007, 10:23 PM
go with a kick. its pretty easy to start(im 13 and 108 lbs and i can start it just fine) and less weight heres a pic of my 04http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/Pictures10-14-06122.jpg

ONEFASTR
04-11-2007, 11:33 PM
you could get the er and put a kicker on it then you are good either way.

81built2hill81
04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I Have An 06 Kicker And Starting it is A Snap. Even In The Winter All I Did Was Turn The Gas On (Its Funny But Iv Seen Others And Myself Miss That One), Pull The Choke, Just Push The Kicker Down Once Or Twice Find A Good Solid Compression Stroke (You Can Feel It), And Kick It Like You Got A Set. Ha Ha Im Only 150lbs And Have A Bad Knee And I Can Even Kick It Sittin Down. The Key Is Finding the Right Stroke To Kick It On.

4ABURN
04-12-2007, 07:33 AM
I have had my er for over 1 year know and stop and start it all the time. and love it. starts great all the time hot ,cold,stall it,it doesn' t matter. If i raced I would have bought the kicker,but the er is good for the very tight and STEEP hill climbing that I do. It hard to hold the rear brake and kick your quad at the same time......:D any way I love my er. I do know the starter oneway clutch is a weak spot. So I will most likely replace it when I put a new clutch in it...maybe....:D my 2 cents.:ermm:

PS; I have owned dirt bike for 20 years including my CRF just so you don't think I like the er just becouse I am lazzzzzy LOL:D

450rJam
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I love my e start and if you choose to add the kicker its not too hard to do.

if you get the kicker its alot harder and more $$.

im glad I got the e start but I just play and race my friends, I think it depends on what you want to do with it.