PDA

View Full Version : modified stock, 39fcr, 41fcr, Lectron, Quicksilver = pro vs. con

trx440
10-09-2002, 11:50 PM
opinions, facts, stories, rumors, what's the REAL story. 400ex guys only please.

Big - D Racing
10-10-2002, 12:01 AM
I run edelbrock, great carb, great power gains, no jets to rejet, made of billet aluminum, comes new ready to bolt on the bike. FCR carb come in pieces you have to put them together. They offer nearly the same power gains as the edelbrock, they have jets.

jgfarmsracer
10-10-2002, 12:46 AM
go with the fcr i have two 39's and run racing fuel in both of them have had no problem's with either one of them. they are easy to jet if needed and repair if needed. the one on my 416 is two years old and the one on my 440 is a year old no prblem's yet. or just take the choke out of your stock carb and change the jet's

ChadEXer
10-10-2002, 08:28 AM
Lectron!! All these crazy stretched out alky Banshees dont run Lectron just becasue its fun:D Its because their the cheapest carb and they make the most power!!! i told tom that Ive been hearing a few people say they have had problems with Lectron,,,Tom says if your not smart enough to make a Lectron run great, then you shouldnt even be riding a quad!!!

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-10-2002, 03:47 PM
I for one can tell you that a 39 FCR rocks. I've got one on my bike it flys now. I have no motor work to speak of right now ( winter is coming)!!! I've got a slip-on and a filter. FCR all the way. Sorry Chad. By the way hows the bike going?

Extremeracer167
10-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Lectrons have NO bottom end compared to the FCR or Edelbrock. They dont have an accelerator pump, so u would have to sit there and pump your throttle 10 times to get the thing to start. The Edelbrocks retail for almost 500!! when u can get an FCR for around 400. I dont really care if my carb is made of lead or gold, as long as it puts out the performance i need. Ive ran both the Edelbrock and FCR b4, still havent Bought one, still looking, but i still think the FCR is better. Oh and if u have an oversized tank, the Lectron is a pain in the ARSE becuase it doesnt fit that great, and the cable hits the tank.

PS hey JGfarmsracer, u said u have 2 FCRs?? would u be interested in selling one!!?? Ide be very interested if the price would be right!! let me know, thanks

ChadEXer
10-16-2002, 11:23 AM
OK I can finally give advice from experience about Lectron carbs!! All this stuff people say about them being a pain are full of $hit!!! you dont have to pump the throttle 10 times to get it started,,,my bike has the biggest stroker you can get and I dont even have to push the throttle at all to get it to start and it fires right up!! Even when it was 50 degrees the other night!!! Jetting couldnt be much easier!!! And if a Lectron has NO bottom end then I would be scared to put a carb on my bike that does!!! This thing hauls balls, bottom end, top end, everywhere!!! For the price adn performance, I wouldnt have anything else!!!

Extremeracer167
10-16-2002, 12:34 PM
The reason yours has a $hitload of power is because its a TC Racing 505 stroker!! Rode 2 400EXs with Lectron carbs. Needless to say, both guys spent COUNTLESS hours on the phone trying to get them jetted in, and both of them bought 3-4 differanct needles, because thats the only way u can make a drstic change on them. Well after about 2 weeks, and about 500 times taking the carbs off to check to see if there was something wrong, both guys sold them. One had a 416 kit from Pro Fab, and the other had a 425TC kit. They both sold them. SO its not just me that has had problems. One got a Quicksilver and the other got a FCR. The guy who got the FCR had the 416 kit, and that thing ran better then the 425 after the carb. Im lookin into getting a FCR, i dont care if i have to put the thing together, i want POWER!! :D

PS Chad how does that kit run!!?? My dad is looking to get one, u hink it would be suitable for a 25olb rider through the woods???

10-16-2002, 12:41 PM
The cost on these carbs are just crazy..:( I'm getting a mild port job, valve job, and my stock carb bored for way less than what an FCR or Lectron would cost. I'll get more power this way than buying a new carb,,and no the works not being done at JimBobs fowheela repair shop in stupidsville its' being done at a respectable shop. If i had my choice though it would be FCR..I"VE seen way to many headaches with lectrons..but whatever blows your skirt up good luck..:D

and yeah,,chad,,you could probably put a 250ex carb on your big bore and it would still scream..:eek:

JustRace
10-16-2002, 01:38 PM
I love my edilbrock carb, its like a carb for the jetting impaired.

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Rico, The price of the carbs are out of the world. But I got mine used from my cuz for trade of my stock carb and go button, plus 100 bucks. But I had to get a real twist throttle. Chad I'm not ragging on you, I've never rode a bike with your carb. So I can't say what's best. On other note. For people with a Fcr go and buy a CRF 450 thottle cables and twist throttle. Cables are the right length and the twist better then the motion pro's by far.:devil

ChadEXer
10-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Extreme, I think this kit would be suitable for anybody,,if your power hungry then this is it!! The power is unbelievable!!! I have no problem with the carb at all other than after it warms up real good every now and then when its idleing it wants to die, but for me and drag racing thats not a problem!!! Check out my "TC 505 is here" thread, I got a few more pics up,,,I will have some good ones when i get back from Little Sahara!!!

ebanezar
10-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Rico,

What does the fcr stand for? When you get the carb bored do you have to buy a new slide? I have already got my 440kit and stage 2 cam going in within the next 2 weeks,but I am going to have to do something with the carb.

mike

10-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ebanezar
Rico,

When you get the carb bored do you have to buy a new slide?

Not that I know of...I'm having rocky ridge racing do it for me,,,don't know much about it except it really helps and for the price of the total package I"m gettin done..I'm sure I'll be happy..Here's rocky ridge's phone number if ya wanna call him and ask...270-259-9604.

BadA$$440
10-16-2002, 05:07 PM
They are all great carbs. Every body has there own opinion so they will say different things. You just got to pick the one you are most happy with. Personally, im going with the FCR39mm. Wheres the cheapest place to buy one? I see sparks has them for 450 with the cable. Is that good?

DISHO1
10-16-2002, 06:25 PM
if anyone cares i have a TM38 mikuni flat slide carb on my 400ex that i have been testing. so far it makes more power than my 36mm lectron i was using by the seat of pants test. it does not have an accelerator pump but there is no need for one either. there is no low end stumble. the carb has a wide range of adjustment pilot and main jet ,slide, needle , needle jet can all be changed for leaner or richer. i got the carb for $140 to my door and to tell the truth it screams.

Chef
10-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
I love my edilbrock carb, its like a carb for the jetting impaired.

Then it must be perfect for you!:rolleyes: :D

I have the FCR39 on my EX. The only complaint about it is that the accelerator pump bowl wasnt big enough at first and it would get sucked dry. That was fixed by a $30 anodized piece of billet though!lol

Giz400ex
10-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Does anybody have or know someone with a FCR 41 ??? They say (magazines) that the 41 out performs all of them!!

Chef
10-16-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Does anybody have or know someone with a FCR 41 ??? They say (magazines) that the 41 out performs all of them!!

I had a 41 converted to methanol for a while, back in the days of the 480 stroker. That thing flat out whipped everything. 57 HP to the rear wheel on gas, over 60 on alcohol....:D

Sick0
10-16-2002, 07:05 PM
Do you lose any low ned from any one of these carbs over stock carb. If the engines is stock.

Giz400ex
10-16-2002, 07:24 PM
Alky472, thanks for the reply. I was planning on getting one this winter and to also step up to a 440. Reading about the 41 they REALLY like it!! But I take it you had no problems with it at all???

Chef
10-16-2002, 07:27 PM
I didnt have any problems with the 41, I put hte larger accel. pump bowl on it before I even ran it just to be sure. I dont htink the average bike would need that larger bowl though.

Sick0
10-16-2002, 08:55 PM
:D

Chef
10-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Heres the EX now

z400ex
10-17-2002, 11:45 AM
Thats one sweet looking bike alky....hey i was thinkin of gettin the fcr41 too but i wanted to know how much did it cost you to put on the bigger accel. pump bowl??? thanx...

Big - D Racing
10-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Carbs are expensive, but anyone who pays retail is an idiot. I love the edelbrock and they do retail for $475, however I got mine for $340 brand spanking new from a local dealer with a cr style twist throttle and cable, plus extra jetting tools. It took 5 weeks to get though because it was on back order.

Big - D Racing
10-17-2002, 02:19 PM
here's a pic

oregonrider89
10-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Yes $450 is a good price. The FCR is the best fourstroke carb you can buy, that is why all the Honda CRF's, Yamaha YZF's and Suzuki DRZ's come with them stock. Mine is great! It make smooth, constant power throughout the powerband.

oregonrider89

mopar 400
10-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Is there a way to rejet the fcr 39 with out removing it compleatly?the stock carb was easy to rejet on the bike. I just bought a jet tool from motion pro but its to big ......:grr

MIKE400EX
10-17-2002, 07:46 PM
I have the FCR41 on my 440 with no complaints at all. I don't think one would need the larger bowl if using gas, alcohol bikes would --- as ALKY472 mentioned. The 41 or 39 are very easy to tune if you take a moment to understand them. I've ridden a stock EX with a 39 and it made big improvements bottom to top, especially in response. The bottom end torque from a 41 might not be quite as strong as from a 39, but I don't have a 39 to easily compare to.

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-17-2002, 07:53 PM
Just like MIKE said, a 39fcr on a stock motor EX makes a big diff. Hands down! Just get a pipe and a filter.:D

Chef
10-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
I have the FCR41 on my 440 with no complaints at all. I don't think one would need the larger bowl if using gas, alcohol bikes would --- as ALKY472 mentioned.

I actually had to put the larger bowl on the 39 carb for gas, then I bought the alcohol carb and put one on it too....My bike sucks the gas down, but thats what it takes to make horsepower, right?

Extremeracer167
10-17-2002, 08:49 PM
how much, and where do u get these larger bowls?

400exRacerX
10-17-2002, 08:52 PM
I got a fcr39mm on my 416 and I abosolutely love it! This thing hauls ***!! and it was simple to tune.

I have a lectron carb on my 250r and the thing has been running like crap since day one. I've been messing with it for 2 months now and I keep fouling plugs and it bogs . The carb also leaks between the float bowl and the carb body. Its a pos in my mind and I am now purchasing a kehien 38mm airstryker carb.

Kehien carbs all the way!!!

ChadEXer
10-21-2002, 08:20 AM
Correction about Lectron carbs,,
They fn suck!!! After starting it and running it around the yard a little the Lectron seemed great,,,after getting out there and doing some racing I couldnt keep the damned thing running at all!! The Lectron will be traded in for a FCR 41mm on alcohol probably this week!!! After i fix the motor:(

400exRacerX
10-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Correction about Lectron carbs,,
They fn suck!!! After starting it and running it around the yard a little the Lectron seemed great,,,after getting out there and doing some racing I couldnt keep the damned thing running at all!! The Lectron will be traded in for a FCR 41mm on alcohol probably this week!!! After i fix the motor:(

I knew you'd come around;)

ChadEXer
10-21-2002, 01:51 PM
Well I just dont understand it!! When I was riding it around after I first got it, it was doing fine,,,but when I was out there racing if I ever let off the gas it would die!! im beginning to think that the whole problem with the motor now may be the Lectron carb,,,but the tapping noise in the motor isnt normal either,,,it sounds like ticking valves but 5 times worse!!! We think its a bent valve! Were going to do a compression test later and I will see, hopefully its nothing major,,,if it is looks like ill be sending her back:(

Extremeracer167
10-21-2002, 01:54 PM
(ExtremeRacer167 shakes his head in pity for Chad)

Man 6 months and over 3k later alls u ahve is a troubled engine......that has to piss u off!! I told u the Lectrons were JUNK! But nooooooooooooo nobody ever listens to me ;)

honda250xrider
10-21-2002, 01:59 PM
hey chad on your lectron carb does ur throttle cable hit your gas tank well on my 250x it hits it and ive already had to go threw 2 cables because it would get all twisted from hiting it and it would never stick in the hole right i hope i explained this right

ChadEXer
10-21-2002, 02:07 PM
Extreme, it really sucks!! but eventually this little girl(505EX) will turn into a real woman!! Im going to get the Lectron off and see how it runs!!
250X, I built spacers to go under the heat shield that hold the gas tank up where it wont sit on the carb!!

honda250xrider
10-21-2002, 02:10 PM
thanks do u have any pictures on how you did that im just not sure about this lectron carb i need to order a new cable already o well i will just try to come up with something like you ddi

SandTrix
10-21-2002, 03:30 PM
I would like to know what jetting you are running on that Mikuni 38 on your EX for a ball park jetting.

DISHO1
10-21-2002, 08:30 PM
i am running a 15 pilot and a 145 main jet with the needle clip in center position. i have the mikuni tm 38 with the 43mm spigot. i am still alittle rich on the pilot jet and if i can ever get some time i will try a 12 pilot jet. i am using the throttle cable that came with my 36mm lectron. i am sorry but i was wrong on the price of the carb it was $149.75 to my door.