PDA

View Full Version : How young is too young for a Blaster?

FUTheman
04-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm looking at a Blaster for my 9 yo. He's an average size kid. I think it's a bit too big for him now, but might be almost the right size by the end of the year. (Kids grow so damn fast) I don't want to get a 90 and have him out grow it too fast. How small of a person can ride and handle a blaster? My wife would also be able to ride this, which helps.

The Blaster is almost the same size as the Cobra 90. So that gives me some idea that he could be able to handle it soon

BYRDMANN12000
04-10-2007, 08:22 AM
I think 9 might be a little too young,but it really depends on his size and riding skill.i'm 30 and ride one just for playin around and mine's pretty fast.if you're set on a 250,maybe a honda 250ex would be a better choice,the power doesn't come on so hard and fast.just my opinion.

FUTheman
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I just want something he won't outgrow by next year and hope to get 3 good years out of it. I haven't looked at 250's. I was looking at 90/125's or maybe this Blaster.

yamaharider05
04-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah i think that a 250ex would be good for him.

FUTheman
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm going to get the Typhoon and the Blaster. The wife can ride the Blaster until he's big enough to control it.

Valhalla
04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
mky 13yo rides the hell out of my 03 blaster. he's a little timid when it comes to speed and riding in the power band for sustained amounts of time but he tears it up on the hills and dunes. i dont think i would put my 9yo on it alone without first wrenching in the throttle stop quite a ways. but he could probably handle it on some relatively flat areas.

07250ex
04-15-2007, 08:14 AM
when i got my first bike i had a 125 cc 4 stroke quad from yamaha i was 10 and my buddy got a yamaha blaster he could ride it fine and i could ride it to so i guess he should be ok just teach him how to use a clutch and you should be all set

NPelletier
04-15-2007, 09:08 AM
umm...i tihnk the youngest age for a blkaster would be like 13....if hes nine, look into a honda trx90...theyre the most popular kids machine, and if your looking for A two-stroke, go with kasea or soemthing...bkaster is porbably too big, im 15, and i still hvant unleashed the full potential of my blaster:ermm:

pbblaster2
04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
i was 9 when i started riding my dads blaster and i raced it when i was 10 but i have been riding since i was 3, if u dont trust him get him say a kasea(automatic) or a honda(semi-auto)

FUTheman
04-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I got the Typhoon so he can get used to shifting. He's been riding CVT's for 3 years now. He needs to learn how to step up to a bigger quad. I almost bought the TRX 90, but he may only ride the Typhoon for a year and a half before he gets on the Blaster full time.

R3b3lx
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
i learned on a blaster at 10yrs old

honda450rider33
04-19-2007, 02:41 PM
i personally would just get the blaster if you want there is the screw in the throttle so you can slow it down for him if you want a 250ex would be ok they are not as snappy as the blaster i dont know that is just my opinion i also think a 90 would be a waste he will out grow it so fast that is my 2 cents

pro-rider46
04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
i personally think he would be fine riding and 250 or a blaster

i was thirteen when i got my first Quad and it is the 450r i have now
i am barely fourteen and im doing preety good on it :D

tldPREDATORboy
04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
what is this website full of kids?if u put a 9yo on a blaster u should be in a nut house!to much quad for a young person.have some common sense.

honda450rider33
04-21-2007, 09:01 AM
this is also coming from someone who owns a predator(and predators are not that fast to begin with so i can see where he could say that) blasters are in my opinion to be one of the best quads to learn on they are not extremly fast in stock form but can still get up and go and they can also be limited by the throttle screw and it will teach him to work on something they are simple motors and are pretty much impossible to screw up they are cheap to buy and cheap to modify

tldPREDATORboy
04-22-2007, 01:12 PM
dude the first mistake people make is underestimating the atv.what was to happen if the kid whent around a corner and panickt and hit a tree?i cant change ur mind but i dont whant to here that a young choild died in an atv accident on the news.its ur kid so if u whant to cut his life short then be my guesst.

and my quad dont have anything to do with this issue you ignorant little punk!

QuadJunkies
04-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Lets not let this get totally out of hand..... ;)

There is going to be ALOT of variations from everyone on what people view as acceptable for a kid and I can only give you my side as a parent and of someone who also has a 9 yr old Son who is also Ave size rider.

If you even have the slightest doubt that he is not ready for this machine,then by all means wait another year. You cannot put a price on a child. Having the child grow with the machine will only make him or her a better rider. Go with a mini chassis thats a little larger so he can squeeze a few years out it such as aTRX 90 for instance.You can always trade it in when its time to upgrade.

There is talent in all ages and sizes. I know of one in Nationals that gives the Pro and Pro Am's a run for there money with podium finishes thats just a yough kid himself!

I think unless the child is being held back from being one of those kinds of kids thats not an everyday thing, I would keep him where he is in control not the quad controling him :)
My Daughter rides a Hybrid Blaster chassis and shes 13.She can ride my 440 and is size wise fits it fine.. But she cant MUSCLE IT YET.. Therefore, she is not in control...
She waited until age 12 before moving up from a Kasea and shes a pretty good rider.I think having her on her mini a little longer had alot to do with that.

Hope this helps some

450rJam
04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
my friend keeps pushing his kid to have the fastest thing he can get him to ride, he started him on a kx65 (which the kid was scared to death of) and as soon as he could hold it up he put him on a kx125 (which he keeps fouling plugs on because he never hits the pipe).

you want that boy to learn to ride ? put him on something he can handle and by the time he is ready to move up he will have the skills to use the extra power.

I have 4 kids and they all ride,
you think your son is big enough to push the blaster off of him if he gets stuck under it ?

QuadJunkies
04-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by FUTheman
I'm going to get the Typhoon and the Blaster. The wife can ride the Blaster until he's big enough to control it.

450rJam, I think he made his decision and we both chimed in a bit late.. lol:p
Good decision your making BTW.;)

I think people forget about power to weight ratios..You can take a smaller rider and still get great ratios that will hang with the big dawgs!:cool:

#22blaster240
04-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I DON'T THINK 9 IS TOO YOUNG FOR A STOCK BLASTER. STOCK BLASTER ARE SUPER SLOW. WHEN I WAS 10 I WAS RIDING MY MOM'S 250EX AND MY BROTHER'S FRIEND'S 300EX.

QuadJunkies
04-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by #22blaster240
I DON'T THINK 9 IS TOO YOUNG FOR A STOCK BLASTER. STOCK BLASTER ARE SUPER SLOW. WHEN I WAS 10 I WAS RIDING MY MOM'S 250EX AND MY BROTHER'S FRIEND'S 300EX.

So what if the 9 year old was not as experienced as you? Just because the rider is 9 doesnt make it OK for all kids . There is too many variations in a rider to really put an age on it like I had already mentioned.
I know for me personally I didnt say 9 was too young, but unless theres reason for an outstanding rider to step it up a notch,then really...why the rush?
MY son is 9 and could probably ride my Daughters but his legs would be abit short to REALLY ride it for what its worth and to be able to ride it totally in control.
Im not judging others ,Im just once again saying that kids need to be put on AGE and SIZE APPROPRIATE QUADS. Its also not good for our sport when we read of all these deaths related to kids on machines that are no where near ready for them.

Its just good for all parents I think to keep all of whats been mentioned in mind when deciding on what quad and size to upgrade the child who is somewhat trapped between quad sizes.

There is more than enough minis on the market today to find the right one for any kid to ride these days and they pack some decent power as well :)

FUTheman
04-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by tldPREDATORboy
what is this website full of kids?if u put a 9yo on a blaster u should be in a nut house!to much quad for a young person.have some common sense.

Hey, ****tard! Without a Blaster sitting in my garage, it's very difficult to know how easy he can reach the controls or see how high it sits. This is why I posed the question. So, if you go back a few posts and read some (before opening your iginorant mouth), you would see I bought I typhoon and a Blaster. "I'm going to get the Typhoon and the Blaster. The wife can ride the Blaster until he's big enough to control it. " So, go **** yourself. Have some common sense prior to posting jack ***.

honda450rider33
04-22-2007, 08:26 PM
i think you made the right choice there is no price on a childs life this way he can learn on both and when he is ready he can ride the blaster, i under estimated my blaster today riding for about 6 hrs and i crashed 2 times, tore the crap out of my leg by almost going over the bars when i was jumping so they seem slow until you under estimate them and you will get hurt, i just got out of a cast after breaking my leg at the badlads in indiana, and again i under estimated the quad and i paid for it so dont rush into anything and wait until he is ready

tldPREDATORboy
04-23-2007, 12:36 AM
^^^ thats the point i was trying to get.if i sounded like an @$$ then my bad.the quad qould have to much size to the child and he/she wouldn't have the strength to hall it around.