PDA

View Full Version : Is Revving your engine bad?

mustang25
04-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Is revving your car engine in neutral bad for the engine?

Villageidiott23
04-10-2007, 07:16 AM
how high are you revving it. and how often. try revving it in neutral and dropping it into drive.. that will be bad

1fst400
04-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Reving a car up with no load on the motor is worse for it than if there is a load on it and your accelerating.

NacsMXer
04-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
Reving a car up with no load on the motor is worse for it than if there is a load on it and your accelerating.

Yep....and while the chances are remote, it is possible to float a valve as well.

Barrymaxx
04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Most newer cars have a rev limiter when there in nutral, but still, it isnt good to rev it up without a load.

04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx
Most newer cars have a rev limiter when there in nutral, but still, it isnt good to rev it up without a load.

My uncle won a brand new car and after 120mph it would shut off :huh

trick250r
04-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by lotsofnuts
My uncle won a brand new car and after 120mph it would shut off :huh

well, its a thing called governer (sp?) and its used to stop the people that think they can drive from doing stupid **** and killing people.

04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by trick250r
well, its a thing called governer (sp?) and its used to stop the people that think they can drive from doing stupid **** and killing people.

Yeah he is kind of stupid. He crashed his motor cycle and lost his arm and mangles his foot up bad. Then after it wasn't even healed and he went out on a jet ski in a really dirty river so his foot got all infected so they had to cut that off. :blah:

mr._bowtie
04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Your not going to hurt it reving it up as long as you dont get carried away with it. Ive reved all kinds of different stuff up for years and years and never bothered it. Just dont hold it wide open, and dont just keep revving it up to high prm over and over and over and over...

Govenors on most new cars are determined by the speed rating of the tires they came from the factory with. Like a pickup has a low speed rated tire so most of them will shut off just one side or the other of 100mph. Now take say a Trans Am and they dont shut off till 155mph...

You also have a rev limiter, which will keep you from over reving the motor to the point of throwing a rod or something but still allows you to hit the red line and it will bounce off of it indefinatly which is bad for the car.

Bottom line is just use common sence. You wont hurt it reving it like a sane person.

Creech52
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Well to clear it up, why dont you try it and let us know the results :devil: But seriously I feel as long as its warmed up you can rev it up within its limits without ill affects, I mean thats basically what a motor does. it revs up and down, load or not. Really with a load your only making it strain to come up to a higher RPM, its just easier to over rev or make it spin up to fast without a load. Like said before use common sense.

And just for the heck of it, you wouldnt happen to own a vehicle with alot of stickers, a wing off a boeing 747, and a polished coffee can for a muffler?

mustang25
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Nahh, its a 2004 mustang...i hate ricers:devil:

Creech52
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
well in that case its ok, I mean that guy in the latest oil commercial is sitting there listening to the symphany of eight cylinders playing what ever tune your foot tells it to....

30liveStar
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
i will hold my f4i on rev-limiter burnouts for 2-5mins straight... MANY TIMES - lol, it just depends on what your dealing with.