PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Powdercoaters, need help

airheadedduner
10-09-2002, 10:51 PM
I just bought a cheap powderccoating starter kit. Just to learn on. Any tips or tricks you guys can let me in on. Would greatly appreciate it.:D

Castor-426ex
10-09-2002, 11:39 PM
dont touch the tip...seriously...dont do it...and dont rush...take your time prepping is that hardest part..have fun

Pappy
10-10-2002, 07:01 AM
yep.....get the part to bare metal and wipe it down with alcohol.......then when its dry.....lay some powder down. always have a good ground and just practice. it will come to ya after a bit!!:D

Pappy
10-10-2002, 07:03 AM
also try to do simple colors to start...black...chrome...and silvervein etc are the easiest to get right....you will make mistakes but thats part of the learning process. pm me anytime you need help:D

Pappy
10-10-2002, 07:40 AM
also.....after the parts has been wiped down....heat it for 5 mins in a 400 degree oven....then let it cool for 3 or 4 mins ...then powder it. it will help the powder to adgere to the part much easier. sometimes on a part with many bends or corners this is mandatory to get the coverage needed.

spliffy
10-10-2002, 10:31 AM
Duner, Where Did You Get This Kit & How Much Was It? Thanks

Pappy
10-10-2002, 12:17 PM
yes...lint can be a problem so watch for it. i have other chemicals i use and spray 9 degreaser works real well and doesnt leave a residue. i also will go from the rinse cyle to the oven to dry a part....no lint and then straight to powder. so far so good;)

jello
10-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by spliffy
Duner, Where Did You Get This Kit & How Much Was It? Thanks

I would like to know this too. Also is the kit the way to go? Or what is needed to buy it seperately? Where can i get it online?

Thanks

Jello

NDrider
10-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Here are a couple sites.

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/

NDrider
10-10-2002, 03:14 PM
I have been thinking about PC'ing too.

CW or 400ex127, are the starter kits in the links I posted above any good?

Also what do you guys use to cure your items with ovens or Infrared? I would be PC'ing in my garage, so room is very limited.

Do you guys sand blast your stuff? What do you blast it with, sand, glass beads, etc...?

Any good books? The ones I have seen are from the 70's

Any other hints or tricks would be appreciated.

You can PM me or email me.

Thanks guys.

jello
10-10-2002, 03:18 PM
some kits im seeing seem to be kinda high in price. Are there any cheapish kits that are good? if there are linkage please

jello

racerx573
10-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Pappy, the clamp is def. the color blue I'm lookin for!

Pappy
10-10-2002, 04:14 PM
the starter kits are ok for small stuff....i know some larger items have and can be done with them...but if you are just gonna do small stuff they are ok. i have 3 types of units to strip metal. bead blast cabinet...aluminum oxide cabinet and a large out door sand blaster.

airheadedduner
10-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Thanx for the tips, I won't be ready for another week or 2 cause I am building an addition on our house. I can't wait to try it, I am getting ready right now to order the sampler kit from columbia coatings, got my dad's debit card right next to me:devil............anyone else need anything :D

I got a sandblaster avialible whenever, my old old man has a sandblasting room and all so I am set there

Anyone else that that ceramic coating gun from columbia coatings, it was under $25 bucks, I wonder whats in the process of doing it. May have to make a little purchase:D

Spliffy and Jello, sent you pm's on the gun specs.

NDrider
10-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
got my dad's debit card right next to me:devil............anyone else need anything :D

Sure, go ahead a get me one of everything you get. :eek: :D :devil

Sparks425Ex
10-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Make that 2 of everything. And send the 2nd set of stuff my way. If ya need teh address Pm me. LOL