PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shoot 350x in 250x

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-09-2007, 07:55 PM
well today i got all my parts in and threw the motor back togeather and into the frame.. kicked it over for about a half hour and got it to fire for like 2 minutes. the plug got soked so i dried it off and kicked it over 2 times to clear the cylinder then put the plug in and and it fired again. im runinng the 350x carb with stock jets in it. its getting great spark. maybe the plug just sucks? i timed it according to spec. im pretty tired right now and cant really think what elses to check. thanks

dork
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
did it run long enough to hear how it sounds? if you have spark and fuel and air it should run if the cam timings ok. did you play with the idle screw or pilot screw when the carb was off? try turning the idle up. did having the choke on or the throttle open make a diff? these motors can be tough to start if you don't use a routine: stroke the kick through until you find tdc, then just nudge it past, you'll feel like 2 small clicks. then bring it up and give a full kick through smoothly, with no throttle. don't jab at it like a 2 stroke. or you could have something weird like the flywheel key sheared or a bad cdi.

2muchquad
04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
If the cam timing is on and you have tried a new plug and the pilot circuit isnt clogged,i would be willing to bet its a sheared flywheel key.When i first got mine running a few yra back,when i started it for the first time,it ran maybe 5 or 10 min at a fast idle to break it in,after i shut it down it wouldnt restart for nothing.After checking everything i pulled the motor and put my 300ex motor back in,a few months later i was bored so i tore into the 350x motor and found a sheared key...after the fact.Now i know:D some valve grinding compound on the crank end will take out any high spots so you'll be less likey to shear a key once its properly torqued;)

dork
04-10-2007, 08:04 AM
yea that problem can have you scratching your head for a while

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-10-2007, 09:57 AM
the motor ran fine in the 3 wheeler and i havent messed with the bottem end at all. you set the timeing so its tdc and the the cam lobes are down correct? i just came in from outside and it fired again but wouldnt stay running.. my guess is maybe its just a cold blooded honda in 32 degrees?

2muchquad
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Yeah the lobes should be pointing down.mine would almost fire all day long with a sheared key but it wouldnt light for jack.Take the spark plug out and kick it over a few times to make sure its not flooded.Did you put it in time with the chain slack on the carb side of the cylinder?Time it up THEN put the tensioner in.The motors are simple but some things will drive you nuts:mad: :)

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
over on 3ww they seem to think the float needle is stuck. causing it to only run till it clears the bowl out. im thinking its my pecock now because it only has a trickle coming out of it. err im irritated tho.

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
:D got her running.. the screen on the petcock was all gummed up. was smoking a bit but it was prolly from me lubeing the rings. rode it threw the fron yard and it felt pretty peppy. the tank has a leak i just sealed waiting on it to dry then im gonna ride around my devolpment.. about how much oil does it hold i keep checking it and it reads low im at 2 1/2 quarts now. im thinking its because of the added length in oil line i have. the jetting seems to be spot on it dosnt have any hesitation when you blip it. it sure hurts when you slip the kicker tho:eek2:

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
were is the idle adjustment on a 350x carb at? it idles a bit high. it also smokes a bit prolly should of put new valve seals in it. but owell i will when i rebuild her in a few months.

2muchquad
04-12-2007, 06:21 AM
next time put a bit of 20w50 in her,that'll stop the smoking;) dont use it altogether or you'll never get it started in the cold:)

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
i was thinking about picking up that real goppy stuff that stops engine smoke. im auctually really in love with its power band. it powers threw the woods.. im hoping on running a hare scramble out at pine lake this year.. im going to be helping getting the track togeather this year, my family is pretty good friends with the fischers. i figured out that my cable adjustment was a bit off on my cable.

2muchquad
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Why dontyou come on down and run Big Game harescrambles this year?You arent far plus its in my back yard:D

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-15-2007, 05:43 PM
maybe i will:D i wanna see how i do on them then i might buy a bike to run gncc.. ive got a friend who races in the b class and i can hang with him when he rides his nephews 300 and i was on the 250x. i have another problem tho on my bike :rolleyes: my girlfreind was riding around the feild on it, and the stupid decomp lever came out is there a way to just plug that up and be rid of it? i forgot to put the pin in when i put the motor together..

2muchquad
04-16-2007, 06:20 AM
You could just disconnect it,take the cable off altogether,i have never had the decomp hooked up on mine and its 380ccs....for now.;) Just go through the procedure when starting it,its not too bad

JIMFROMTEXCO
04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
i didnt have it hooked up at all i took the cable off so it would clear the exhaust.. the whole piece came out and it squirted oil all over her

zell250x
04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
i got the 350x motor in today and it doesnt have spark. i put a 350x cdi on . how do all the wires hook up comeing from the motor to a 250x harness? there is an extra wire then what the 250x had. got the 2 wire plug the black with red tracer, but there is a green and black wire and im thinking the black just goes to a ground and the green goes to the harness. but im not sure can you help me out?

dork
04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
here (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=286766)

read my post, it has all the info for the 250x harness.