PDA

View Full Version : EWDRA scramble @ Horn Rapids ORV- Richland, WA

AndreS
10-09-2002, 09:43 PM
just putting the word out that there is a race at Horn Rapids ORV Park(just outside of Richland, Wshington) on 11/3
there's usually 4 classes for quads: 250, open, 4-stroke, and ironman
all but ironman make only one lap, ironman class goes two loops.
the loop is ~22 miles long, open desert type riding. the start is a running lemans style w/ dead engines
i took 3rd in the 250 class this spring, fun race... and i'll be back for more.
for more info, contact: Don Grazini (509) 967-2404

anyone else here plan on going?

Woodsrider
10-10-2002, 07:29 AM
I wanted too but I have to work. :(

chad400ex
10-10-2002, 12:42 PM
I'm really thinking about entering. It's a bit of a drive, but I think 22 miles of open desert racing would be a kick in the butt. I'm trying to scrape together a few buddies to go over there with me. Do you have more info as far as requirements go?? (kill switch, nerfs, number plates, etc....). Is there a website with info?

AndreS
10-10-2002, 03:42 PM
i just recieved the flyer today.
they changed it a little, the course is 10+ miles. the ATV classes are 250/open(2-laps), 4-stroke & 3-wheeler(2-laps), and ironman(4-laps) .
you can race ironman and one of the other classes, but it'll cost an additional fee.
cost: $5 gate, $35 to race(+gate).
gates open at 7AM,
ATV riders mtg 9:00
atv race starts 9:15

as for requirements, the flyer states: 'kill tether recommended for all' and 'spark arrestors & ORV tags required' camping is available.
nerfs & number plates are not required... but i'd recommend a front & rear # plate, and nerfs are a really good thing to have in the start(everyone's going for the same 20' wide gate at the same time)... after that they are no big deal because you're not dicing it up for position. i bent my nerfs on the gate, i didn't see it b/c of dust, hit the brakes & slid sideways into it... w/o them i would have likely DNF'd right there w/ either a broken axle or swingarm.

i asked off work a month ago so i knew i'd make it... this a fun race!

if ya miss this one, there are other scrambles w/ quad classes... 10/27(scare scramble) & 11/17(turkey scramble) @ spokane extreme MX, 1/1/03 hangover hare scrambles(mud fest)@ WASHOUGAL!!! then in May- WORCS @ Washougal

chad400ex
10-10-2002, 07:40 PM
Cool!!! Thanks for the info. As far as the terrain goes, is there a motocross section, or is it just wide open riding with an occasional high speed jump??

AndreS
10-11-2002, 02:17 AM
last time they went through, but not on, the MX course there at the facility, using a series of wide high speed sweepers. it had lots of turns, some realy sweet sweepers, a bunch of straights, and only one high speed jump that was easily rolled, also expect lots of whoops as deep as 2-3 ft... average speed must be around 30-40 mph, i did the 22 miles in about 30-35 minutes and took a breather in the middle.... the course was well marked, it was hard to make a wrong turn anywhere. they(EWDRA) did a great job last time, as i think they will again.

oh yeah, they run the quads before the bikes, so if you run ironman & don't make the first laps in time, they won't let you finish.
they may also be filming, they were this spring(w/ helicopters & all). they usually make a video of the race to sell at the next one. unfortunately they don't have a video of the spring race to sell.

AndreS
10-24-2002, 02:18 AM
just bringing this thread back up to the top to see if anyone else out in WA/OR/ID might be interested in going....i hope we have a killer quad turnout!
i rode horn rapids this weekend; they have been improving the quad track and now water it... i love that feeling on the open desert areas when the front wheels just hit the tops of the whoops and the rear end starts dancing around under ya! now that's WFO riding!