PDA

View Full Version : instaling clutch

2002Honda400ex
04-09-2007, 06:02 PM
What are the basic steps i need to know to put new clutch plates in my 400ex? I have herd to soak plates in oil prior to instalation, but what else?

pigpin
04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
all i can tell you is make sure you lay things out in a manner so you konw the order they go back, and be prepared for bumps in the road if you dont wrench on stuff daily. its a rather in dept job for a rookie but nothing to be scared of with a good plan and common sense!

Hope all goes well, and from personal experiance, DO NOT tighten the clutch bolts back down until they bottom out!!! just snug them up in a criss cross patern, you WILL snap them off, there not like the pressure plate in cars/trucks, just snug them up good and evenly.

400exrider707
04-10-2007, 06:27 AM
It's easier than you might think. Make sure you get a new clutch cover gasket. Pop off the clutch cover, then loosen the 6 bolts holding the pressure plate on. Undo them in a criss cross pattern. Then your plates and fibers should slide right out. Inspect the basket fingers for grooves. It will probably have some, which can be taken out with a file if you do it LIGHTLY and evenly. If they are really bad a new basket would be the best answer, but not necessary. You should also soak the new fibers in oil for a little while, I like to leave them overnight personally. Take your new steel plates if you get them and scrape them around on a cement floor to scratch them up. Clean them off really good afterwards though. Then proceed to install them making sure to rotate fibers and steel plates. Then reinstall the pressure plate making sure to criss cross the bolts again.

2002Honda400ex
04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
What should i tourqe the bolts that hold the presure plate on at, or do i just snug them up?

Glamis400ex
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
do yourself a HUGE favor....buy a manual. Best $20 I ever spent. It will answer all these little questions you have.

allstock
04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
also when you have all of the clutchs out, look at your clutch basket for any small cracks or chips. it will save you alot of money down the road. trust me