PDA

View Full Version : No Airbox???

450rdominator
04-09-2007, 03:13 PM
hey, on my 86' LT250R i have the air box removed and the filter just clamped onto the carb...has anyone ever heard of this on a 06 450r...can it be done....what are the pros and cons???

Scro
04-09-2007, 03:52 PM
I think you have to buy an air-box eliminator kit. I believe it's a collar around the filter, so the weight of the filter is not on the carb.

Pros:

- Alot more air going through the motor = more power
- Weight savings, may not be much it's a little

Cons:

- Can't ride in dirt/muddy conditions, because the filter will be exposed to the elements

Unless you drag race or flattrack, I would say just remove the lid and be done with it.

TRX450RACER174
04-09-2007, 03:53 PM
The pros would be more airflow which could equal more hp if it is put on a dyno and jetted right, now the cons no protection from mud,water,sand or anything else that could get up there and possibly knock the filter off of the intake. Someone else might have some better ideas than i do but i would not want my filter just hanging in the wind that way, just my 02!

patrickj75
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
i just got rid of my airbox for my 04. i race TT/flattrack so i'm trying to eliminate weight. you need n airbox eliminator that attaches to the carb and in most cases attaches to the subframe to hold the filter in place. i'm getting mine from Rath Racing. i know Eddie Sanders Racing makes them also.

04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
i have my cover off. it takes much more air in and u will feel power difference, but u will probably have to jet it, and the airfilter gets dirty quickly