PDA

View Full Version : 400ex clutch problem again....

lpmaster
04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
ok well....i rebuilt my motor and went with an E B C lcutch ki. now first weekend to the dunesit worked great borke my motor in no problems what so ever. I go back out a couple weeks later still perfect.....by the end of the third day im dragging with my friends and what not. anyways all of the sudden my clutch lever pulls freely and my clutch is still engaged (i cannot shift) like if my cable sanpped. I check it out and and it seems the clutch lever slowly gains its tension back........now.....no problem clutching and shifting but major slippage about half and up throttle in any gear.

ok so i buy ANOTHER E B C lcutch kit. I come to find my last plate was not off set i just assumed this had fried my clutch and that my vlutch was fried..... i re-install with new botld and the ebc clutch pack and springs. Now at this point i found my basket to be a tad losse, not wobbly but just as if the hole was bigger than the shaft with the splines ( possibly a loose locknut?(the big staked one).... anyways it very very little to no play but i could tell. i puyt everything back together test it out it runs find get to the dunes for a weekend runs great no bad.....again i got out a few weeks later run all weekend.....then race consecutively up and down pattons and my lever becomes free again just like last time.....clut is engaged but my lever does nothing.......comes back again and slips......

now is there any ideas on this.....i rebuilt everything myself....but i willl admit i know little to nothing about clutches and trannys although i have a lot of mechanical know-how this is a subject that is just over my head currently. I need to tear it apart again and if anyone ahs any idead lmk

my guesses thus far:
overheating causing ebc (hd)" spring warpage(word?)
loosbasket causing rough clutch dis-engagement?
ebc sucks and i need to go to a sparks or stock clutch pack
im and idiot and forgot something....

any help is greatly appreciated if you need mroe info lmk

its an 05

4TraxRider
04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I had an EBC in my 406 a few years ago and it worked fine until I got rid of it. Are you soaking your plates in oil before your running them? I burned a set up on my 125 like that but it happened in the first 20 minutes of riding. How much free play are you running at your lever after assembly?

lpmaster
04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
theres close to a quarter inch of free play at my elever and at the lifter arm......also i soaked my fibers in oil for a couple hours before i installed them.........without even taking apart my clutch im rpetty sure i can tell its clutch springs.....my lever resistance is a lot less than when i first put them in, i guess i'm justw arping the springs ebc makes hopefully this wont happen to either set of my stock and barnet springs im going to try. although i will hopefully figure it out once i pull it apart for the 3rd time....