PDA

View Full Version : shoulder seperation. how long to heal?

660bigdaddy
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
i'm sure somebody on here has had one. i have a 3rd degree seperation of the a/c joint. dr. didn't say, won't see him til next tuesday. any info would be great.

4TraxRider
04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
When my bro dislocated his he was supposed to wear a sling for like 3 weeks and not do anything strenuous with that arm. Took it off after two weeks or so and said it was fine but stiff from not using it.

660bigdaddy
04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
how long before he could ride, use his arm? thanks,,

Kendall33
04-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I just did that on Saturday riding at Chadwick I went to the emergency room and they said it was a possible separation of the AC so I have an apointment at 3:45 today with the orthopedist to verify whats really the matter...but either way I am not comfortable in this sling!

smr
04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Dislocation and seperation are two totally different things. I did the type 3 seperation in 2003 three. It took about a month before I could use the arm much at all. It took a total of about 2 1/2 months before I could race again.

Good luck and did they tell you, you will always have a little bump up there.

660bigdaddy
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
you will always have a little bump up there
i guess it will serve as a little reminder:D worst wreck on a quad for me.... 2. 5 months and able to race sounds pretty good! pic is 20 minutes before wreck...

mephyst
04-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Shoulder injuries are tough. They are one of the injuries that tend to always stick around and give you pain in the future, even if it is minimal. So the time it will take to heal can vary up to months apart from someone else.

smr
04-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mephyst
Shoulder injuries are tough. They are one of the injuries that tend to always stick around and give you pain in the future, even if it is minimal. So the time it will take to heal can vary up to months apart from someone else.

that is correct however, the seperation is not on a moving part so after if heals he should have no discomfort other than the bump.

I noticed you had a chest protector on in the picture. Did you have it on during the crash? Usually a chest protect will protect this type of injury. (just imagine how bad it would have been if you didn't have it on)

Kendall33
04-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Well I went to the orthopedist and he said I have an extreme strain in the AC joint or the rotator cuff is torn soo I have an MRI set up in the morning @ 9:15 so lets all hope it's just the stretch and not anything torn!...I have a lot of racing to do and I hate missing them!!

honda250xrider
04-09-2007, 05:45 PM
i had the same thing, 3rd degree sep. and torn all the ligements. took several months to heal up. my shoulder will never be the same again. I went from being quarterback one year to not being able to throw the ball more than about 20 times before my shoulder just couldnt take anymore. baseball is the same way for me now after repeated throws my shoulder just can't take it. Day to day it does not hurt unless you put extereme strain on it.

maxamillion
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I dislocated mine in a wrestling match. It was out of socket for two hours, the longer it was out the worse it hurt. I only had to wear the sling for 2 days (doctors orders). Then I went to physical therapy 2 or 3 times a week for two months. Its been about 3 months and it finally feels normal. You could ride safely after 2 months. If you wreck its more likely to come out though. A dislocated should takes longer than a knee to heel because it moves in so many different directions and all those muscles get stretched and torn.

O and someone said seperation and dislocation are two diff things... whats the difference?

bulkdriverlp
04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
speaking of shoulders, when i rotate mine around i hear grinding noises and it hurts bad, should i have it looked at or is it normal?

smr
04-09-2007, 07:09 PM
[i]O and someone said seperation and dislocation are two diff things... whats the difference? [/B]

seperation is not in the ball and socket, its a seperation of the collar bone from the shouler. Dislocation is the actual pivat point. I'm no doctor but thoughts how mine explained it to me. Most people recover 100% from a seperation but you never fully recover from a dislocation.

Most doctors will not do anything for a seperation unless it's bad enough to poke through the skin.

Dislocation can be set back in place and the pain will be releaved but you must have surgery to repair the damage.

Look at the picture and you can see the seperation is well above the pivote point.

suzukiray
04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I separated my left shoulder in a streetbike crash on Jan 15, 1985. It was 10 years before I could sleep on my left side again & it still isn't comfortable to sleep on. I think a broken colarbone is easier & WAY quicker to heal! Ray.

maxamillion
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
smr thanks, I was wondering what was wrong with that x-ray, I see it now though. So you cant set back a seperation? Thats strange. Mine dislocated at the pivot point. They gave me medicine to knock me out and popped it back in place, I never woke up feeling so good in my life! I didnt have surgery though, the doctor said if it happened again I would deffinately need to.

97blaster200
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
suck it up you girl.....i was back riding within a week. just take some pills...you'll be good to go

660bigdaddy
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
I noticed you had a chest protector on in the picture. Did you have it on during the crash? Usually a chest protect will protect this type of injury.
yes i was wearing it. jumped a guys tire in a dusty section. knocked the wind outta me. 3 of us crashed together. worst one i've been in since starting 6 years ago.....

54warrior
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I seperated mine a few years ago. Took a good 2 months before I could even think about riding a quad, let alone racing one. I didn't have surgery done on it because it was my left arm and I am right handed. The doctor suggested that if it had been my right arm, he would have recommended surgery. Mine bothers me sometimes still, especially when outside in cold weather for awhile. Starts to throb. I still have the bump from the bone being out of place, makes for interesting conversation sometimes.

Like someone else stated, you won't be able to sleep on that side for awhile. I couldn't for probably a year or so.

I also notice it when I have my arms above my head for a long time, like when I used to work for an electrician running wires in basements, working overhead. It will get tired.

It's also been frustrating because that side will never be as strong/stable/supportive as the other. A good example is when lifting weights.

Someone also mentioned the throwing thing too. Lucky for me again, it was my left arm, not the right. I can't imagine what it would be like.

Also mentioned was the use of the chest protector. My honest opinion is that it wouldn't have made a difference if you were/weren't wearing one. I didn't have one on and I guarantee that it would not have prevented the injury.

Good Luck, get well soon.

300excrazy98
04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
THIS HAPPENED TO MY BROTHER LAST THURSDAY!!

Except he is a stage 5...

He is going to have to have surgery, and doc said that he cant play sports for 4 months after surgery, and sling has to stay on for about 8 weeks i think after the surgery...

He tore all the ligaments, and his collar bone is floating. you can pick it up and move it about 1 inch up and down..

sucks for you guys

wish you the best of luck in recovery!