PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Overflow

timmersam
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Has anybody here eliminated the coolant overflow? Why is this done, and do you have to top up the coolant alot??
Thanks

GT300
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I eliminated it on my quad. I put a tube going from the overflow spout down to the lower radiator hose. Directly over the pipe. When the quad gets too hot, the coolant drips on the pipe and the smoke lets me know to go easy and let it cool down.

You don't really need the overflow bottle so I took it off to clean up the quad and simplify it. I don't have to top off the coolant very often.

timmersam
04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
That sounds like a very good idea, the only thing that worrys me is if there is any pipe discolouration becuase of it?

Brett250R
04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
unless your racing there should be no reason to remove your coolant bottle if your cooling system is in working order. make sure all the fins on your radiator are straight, make sure its not clogged, make sure your cap is new also. i've never had an overheating problem once, you should be able to hear if you have a problem. only time mine ever came close to overheating was when my inner o-ring on my ESR 310 cylinder was leaking a minute amount of coolant at higher rpm's

HTH

-Brett-

timmersam
04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
As my sig says im working on a ground up build. The reason I am asking is becuase the overflow that I have does not have a cap and rather the buying a new one i wanted to no the pros/cons of eliminating it.
Thanks for the help

Kirt13
04-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Absolutely no need for an overflow tank. I filled up my radiator and only the first time my radiator got to a good temp it spit out about 3 cups of fluid. Now the radiator does not overflow AT ALL, and the fluid level stays towards the top.
I put a tube going back to my exhaust so I know if any fluid spits out. Never had it happen though. The tube hides perfectly on the frame under the plastic so you can't see it.

CanuckR
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I will agree. don't need it, I did the same thing, routed a tube straight down onto my pipe. Look at all of the new dirt bikes, none of them have catch tanks, they just let it puke out onto the pipe or the ground. Those 450's spit lots of coolant too, I always check my coolant before every ride, never have to top it up usually. I have never had to stop riding to top up the coolant either.

matt250r21
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Overflow bottle is the first thing I took of my R. Whats the point, if your motor over heats, the coolant in the overflow bottle will only make it to the radiator after everything cools down and your motor is already toast.

Brett250R
04-10-2007, 08:38 PM
like i said if your cooling system is good you don't have to worry about overheating. i left mine on and have had zero overheating problems. it also serves the puropse of lettting coolant back in too if your system build more pressure then the radiator cap can handle

my .02

-Brett-

ronny
04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
does it cause any coloring on the pipe if you do this

Brett250R
04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
it will leave spots. but if you clean your quad after every ride or at least the pipe, then your fine.

-Brett-

Kirt13
04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ronny
does it cause any coloring on the pipe if you do this
If it does spit out (which it won't) it will not leave any spots. I had it spit out once and it dried up without any spots.