PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon front end upgrade?

ryanc
04-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I was planning on replacing the front shocks on our 70 with the 13" Fox Floats, but I am wondering if I would be better to replace the a-arms instead 1st? If they are available, I think I would like the DC Motorsports set. Any opinions? My son is only 5 and weighs about 45lbs, we do a little mx, but a lot of trail riding.

Thanks for any input.

CEOR
07-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Something you may want to consider.......if you have a fab shop available near you. Relocate the lower front shock mounts to the top of the lower a-arm, and move each mount outward 1/4".
This will raise the front of the bike approx. 1" or more, and will change the shock pivot ratio a bit, making it a little firmer of a ride. This mod helps with lower shock mount hitting any obsticles.

azextreme
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
my son has 12" elkas and stock a-arms and he jumps the hell out of his bike at the track!!

God'sGirl.MQ.20
07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
We just replaced her Fox w/ Elka'a.....loving it!!!!!!!!!

Between her Elka's and the Leatt neck brace she doesn't complain about back pain anymore. We went to the Chiro after every big race.

God'sGirl.MQ.20
07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
We just replaced her Fox w/ Elka'a.....loving it!!!!!!!!!

Between her Elka's and the Leatt neck brace she doesn't complain about back pain anymore. We went to the Chiro after every big race.

CEOR
07-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Got bored one week, and decided to design our own long travel front suspension on my daughters Typhoon. Works as good as my sons TRX 450R race bike.
Will be marketing it soon. Was given him a summer school class on geometry,........which he didnt do so well in high school this year.
Think he caught on quick, .......found something he was interested in! Application.......? He figured it out.

azextreme
07-07-2007, 10:17 AM
any pics?? how much travel??

CEOR
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Yes, I will be posting pics this afternoon. We have achieved 8"
of "True" travel with the stock shocks. Bumpsteer is minimal. Due to the location of the stock a-arm pivot points, we were only able to lift the front end of the bike 4.75"and still maintain the geometry needed. Overall front track width is 43.25". But we're thinking we can get an additional 1.25" of travel with a set of 12.5"custom shocks. We are working with a few shock manufacturers now.
Next, we're thinking of machining a .625"counterbore in the rear wheel hubs. This will allow the rear track width to be increased to an additional 1", without using wheel spacers.
Our rider loves the way this bike handles, and soaks up the bumps. The frame no longer rubs the ground when bottoming the suspension on big hits. Bike sits at 12.5" at front frame tube where front bumper mounts.
Stock shocks can be revalved, and sprung at Noleen.

OzLinc
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Sure sounds like you have it sorted....We went the cheap option of relocating the shock mounts on the a-arms. It worked well and I can recomend it to anyone who would like extra clearance in the front.

Again we went the easy option at the back and just flipped the wheels for an extra 1".

Linc

CEOR
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Sometimes you get so overwhelmed with the numbers, ya end up overlooking the obvious.......nice pointer!

azextreme
07-10-2007, 01:54 PM
CEOR did you ever get your engine from phoenix???? 140 lifan

CEOR
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Yes, we ended up swapping a 140cc Lifan into the chasis. I have tons of pictures, (including our long travel a-arms)although we seem to be having one hell of a time uploading to this forum.
I can email these pics, if your interested....? Maybe they will find there way to this forum?

azextreme
07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
yese-mail to entertainment29@cox.net did you get the engine from pitbikemotosports from pheonix?? I tried to find the shop and call no luck???????

CEOR
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Let me know if you received the pics, I sent them out to ya lastnight.
Yes we did get the motor from Chuck Marsela at pitbikemotorsports, but I believe
there located in Bullhead City,AZ.
I may have made a mistake and said Pheonix?

mxslevnik69
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
i have a set of profab aarms on my typhoon.

azextreme
07-12-2007, 09:07 PM
CEOR I got the pics! Bike looks pretty good!!! ? why cant a a-arm like the trx long travel be made for the typhoon?? they use 16" shocks

azextreme
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I tried to load pics it would not work for me either?? they are under 1.5meg huuuum???

CEOR
07-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Trx 450 (type) aarms can be made And probally will. But this is only my first attempt at this bike. "Gull-wing" style like (Gibson) or "J" style like (Roll Design) look and function absolutly great. But considering the way this bikes chasis is designed, and angles to consider, limits things at this point.

I was aiming at a few issues we wanted to take care of first.

1. Ride height.
2. Travel, while taking in consideration,shocks currently available off the shelf.
3. Balance.
4. Cost

I do believe that all these were accomplished so far.

Another factor to take into consideration. Basically anything that is sucessfully done in the aftermarket business, will most likely be incorporated at the factory in the next few years. I mean, lets face it, think of the source!
THAT IS...........if this model ever proves itself at national levels or there are enough sales.

At this point of the game, how much money do any of us really want to pour into this model? Later, just to find out that it wont hold up. Consider the material it's made out of. I've had stronger coat hangers.

But I think the Typhoon is a worthwhile project to persue. I do have to be honest with you, there has been a few times during testing. That I told my daughter, "We're just selling the damn thing"!!!!!. "Lets drive over to the Corbra dealer"!!!
Sticker shock on the model we looked at changed my mind.

leager-n-ky
06-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi could i get some pic's of the front end? DGTRIMBLE594@MSN.COM