PDA

View Full Version : I got one! and now its time to tinker

Benjithx
04-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I came to you guys with some questions on what to buy in terms of a quad for a new rider and you all helped me out big time.

I ended up buying a 2004 400ex for $2800 and I love it. It came with Renthal Bars and a Swingarm Skidplate.

It is a blast to ride, but I love to tinker with the aftermarket so now its time to upgrade and test.

I already put on:
Uni Filter
Moose Pro Nerf Bars/Pegs
Moose V style Bumper
Motion Pro twist throttle

I have been thinking of whats next and really want to focus on Bang for your Buck upgrades. I am tired of dumping money on the very best parts for my toys and want to try to make my 400ex and really well rounded budget build up.

I am looking into +2 A-arms and some front shocks off a yfz450.

Things I would like to upgrade

Rear shock- Will a Yfz rear fit on a 400ex?

Exhaust- looking for deep tone, not to loud, and power of course

Rear axles- I would like to go a little wider, Any suggestions for a budget build? (no wheel spacers)

Engine- I may want a engine kit for some more power down the road, what are your sugestions, 426, 440???

Thanks so much guys!
I am having a blast

Also if someone has a stock steering stem let me know how much you want for it. mine got bent :-)

400exrider720
04-08-2007, 07:03 PM
First off let me say congratulations. As for the rear off a YFZ I hear that the srock one when rebuilt is as good as any. The rear axle you should get a G-Force from rockymountain for $200 which is great for a budget. Lastly I have a 416 and I love it. I would recommend it if you are on a budget like me because you can spend about $400 and it will run great with a stage 2 cam. Also you dont have to resleeve.Good luck and hope everything turns out great. Hope this helped.

Benjithx
04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I was thinking that the Yfz rear would have some more adjustability than the 400ex rear and i could lower it some more.?

Barrymaxx
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Get your stock back shock revalved for your riding style and get some yfz shocks for the front. Pm me if you need help making them fit.

g-force makes a good axle.

Curtis Sparks is probly the best exhaust, but also pretty loud. A e-series slip on seems to be really popular.

underpowered
04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Benjithx
I was thinking that the Yfz rear would have some more adjustability than the 400ex rear and i could lower it some more.?

well teh stock 400ex rear shock is jsut as adjustable as teh YFZ. it has comp, reb. and preload adjustment.

G-force makes a good axles for a budget.

for exhaust, get HMF. if it is to loud, it still keeps a nice tone with the quiet core installed and gives good power

REPOMAN
04-08-2007, 09:22 PM
g force is a great axle but they are back ordered for the 400ex. soonest is supposed to be may 4th to get one. that was the last time i checke the rocky mountain site anyway

2002Honda400ex
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Personally, I dont like the g-force axle. my friend has one on his 450r, and bent it within a few weeks after he got it new. Yea they have a good warrenty, but it is a real pain in the D*** to change them out. Go for a lonestar axle. Just my 2 cents:scary:

troutman561
04-11-2007, 10:02 PM
On planning to get YFZ front shocks, why not just get 450r shocks, they will fit with less fabrication....

j450rking
04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
get an axle off ebay you can get a good lone star or durablue for less then $200 and those are the best axles maid

if you jump alot then the yfz socks would be good but you have to shave the top mounts witch is not hard i did it before with a hack saw and then sold them before i even used them evilthinker has them now and he seems to like them alot

the 450r shocks are better for trails and stuff like that but are also good for jumps just not as good for jumps as the yfz shocks

i hope this helps

Eviltanker
04-12-2007, 07:33 AM
I am the one that bought the YFZ shocks from j450rking, And if you take your time in adjusting them they are great on the trail as well as jumping. It took me a week to get them were I wanted them, Now I hit that sweet spot that works for me in trails,woods,and jumping.

400exrider707
04-12-2007, 07:41 AM
To do this the right way on a budget I would do the following:

Get a set of 450R stock fronts, and send them to C&D to have them rebuilt and set up for the 400ex on +2 arms

The arms I would look for a good used set on here or ebay, try looking for something like housers, as they are a good quality arm at a decent price

Rear shock I would send to either C&D to get rebuilt or possibly GT Thunder to get with their linkage as well.

Axle the g-force seems to be quite popular and I hear way more good stories than bad with it.

Motor- a good pipe and a 416 kit with something like 11:1 (if you want to stay reliable and run pump gas) and a good cam like hotcam stage 2

With these you will have a very nice well rounded package on a budget! Good luck