PDA

View Full Version : belly skid coming loose

10-25-2001, 07:22 AM
For all of you that have AC racing belly skids,,,do you ever have a problem with it coming loose a little and every time you put the hammer down it vibrates to were you can hear it,,sounds horrible too?? I've jumped and came up short a few times or just landed wrong and I slammed my frame on the ground,,,well whenever this happens I have to tighten up the skid plate,,,am I the only one with this problem???

barbwire44
10-25-2001, 07:49 AM
i have the same ac skidplate and when i first installed it i went out riding the next day as soon as i cranked her up i heard some serious noise i thought what the hell is that! Took a few minutes but figured it out. I ended up taking some thin rubber belting and cutting it into long strips and running it down the frame, then i used loctite on the bolts. It doesn,t make any vibration noises now and has never loosened up.:D

Zingnut
10-25-2001, 08:21 AM
I have the same skid and found the same noise after first run. I used two different remedies. The first one was I went out and bought some water pipe insulation. Its a grey foam tube that has a slit down the length of the tube you can get it in many sizes. I forget the sixe I got but you can guess. I installed this around all frame tubing exposed to the skid. It absorbs vibration and noise. I also used clear PVC tubing that would fit the frame size. Cut a slit down the tube and installed around frame. It has helped out on noise and vibration greatly.

400exRacerX
10-25-2001, 09:29 AM
I have the dg belly skid and it comes loose all the time and makes that horrible noise too, one time when i was at the track i lost two of the clamps that hold it on,,, does anyone no were i could buy some new clamps for the belly skid?

TRFOXX
10-25-2001, 09:35 AM
I have the DG belly skid also and it comes loose about
every 3 rides. I might try the the water pipe remedy, it would
protect the frame more also since i just got it repowdercoated.

liltazz
10-25-2001, 10:12 AM
camper tape workes great, can get it a an auto store or a truck cap place

10-25-2001, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by liltazz
camper tape workes great, can get it a an auto store or a truck cap place

That's exactly what I use,,,leftover tape from my topper,,,,but I guess I missed a spot since it's making noise again...

sly400ex
10-25-2001, 11:12 AM
I bought some of those outside water faucet gromets from ACE. 18 of them. Siliconed them to all the different ares on the skid where it touches the frame. Works awesome. Cost less than $10. Then I threw some loc-tite on the screws. The skid plate should be very secure and noiseless after that. Anyone have an idea to make it less messy when changing the oil though? I get oil all over the skid plate, thus all over the floor!!!:mad:

10-25-2001, 11:15 AM
Yeah I'm with ya on that,,I've tried to be clean about it and not make a mess but that's a big negative on that one. Drilling a hole next to the case plug is about all I can think of.:huh

10-27-2001, 07:40 AM
I have the same exact problem you have. Whenever I get on the gas it rattles. Its driving me nuts. I believe I have the DG skid. Thanks for the tips guys. Ive about had it with that rattling! Cant ride good wheelies cause of it! lol

10-27-2001, 08:00 AM
i had the same problem with vibration noise ,and the oil draining. decided to keep it off. i dont do serious rock climbing or ride over stumps or **** like that, im more into racing and jumping. the skid plate doesnt serve any purpose for me, except add about 5 lbs. and look nice when i wheelie.