PDA

View Full Version : damn chain

the fat kid
04-08-2007, 04:55 PM
ok so my damn chain KEEPS coming off mostly when i hit a good bump or somethign of that nature, youre supposed to have an inch of play right? so you measure it when sitting on it or off of it, idk and my skid plate is off cause its the stocker and tore up so i guess could that have an effect on it? any help is greatly appreciated oh, its an ltz 400 2004 btw... thanks

pigpin
04-08-2007, 04:59 PM
consider the movent of the bike when you jump... when its in the air off a jump the chain gets loose due to suspension travel, im not 100% sure but i think the adjustmen is like a 1/2 inch not sitting on the bike, which would be 1/4 inch up and down altogether equaling 1/2 inch of movement adjusted.

hope this helps somehow, and dont rely on my numbers.... that just seems like what i remember!

the fat kid
04-08-2007, 05:09 PM
thanks for the reply idk my friend says on his street bike he has a half inch of play when not sitting on it but id assume it moves less, i get what your saying about the swingarm movement too thats why im thinkin an inch might be too loose...

GPracer2500
04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Your Z calls for 1.2" to 1.6" of slack as measured from the bottom rung at the midpoint between the front and rear sprockets. In other words, if you push the chain down as far as it will go and then pull up on it as far as it will go, there should be that amount of movement.

It should be sitting on level ground under it's own weight (no rider) when the measurement is taken.

4TraxRider
04-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Take a look at your sprockets too. If you smashed a skid plate off you may have tweaked the sprocket a little.

the fat kid
04-08-2007, 07:53 PM
i bought it used so i guess it is possible to be tweaked, never had it off though, idk i think i might just buy a new sprocket any ways, thinkin of getting a 42 tooth, thanks for the replys, and GPracer2500 that means that basically from the lowest point itll go to the highest point itll go should be 1.2 to 1.6 inches?

GPracer2500
04-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by the fat kid
....that means that basically from the lowest point itll go to the highest point itll go should be 1.2 to 1.6 inches?

You got it.