PDA

View Full Version : Reading Anthracite [Trevorton Area]

TargetBow
04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Here is a link to some pictures and MPG files I have uploaded on my box.net site. They are all taken in the Trevorton area while riding last year. One of the days I was up there were a lot of dune buggies riding there also. http://www.box.net/shared/2fmueh7np2

Barrymaxx
04-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Man, you have the best pictures. I really want to ride treverton sometime soon too. Theres alot of people there.

TargetBow
04-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the pictures. I just enjoy taking them and sharing them with others that enjoy riding. Don't expect anything professional looking from my pictures, there are a lot of people on this site that take a far better pictures of their riding area then I do and I enjoy looking at the pictures they post, I just hope that everyone gets the same enjoyment from my pictures.
And by the way, Trevorton is kind of like Freeland in the last post you posted in the Reading Anthracite [Minersville Area] thread.
Most of those people riding probably don't have a Reading Anthracite access permit and as long as they are not doing any dumping or causing problems it looks like no one harasses them for riding there. The main thing Reading is trying to do is have people around the area legally which they hope would limit some of the illegal dumping and vandalizing of there equipment that goes on. And by supplying permits this means more eyes in the area to witness such things and they are hoping this will limit the illegal activities. That's another reason I don't know why they don't sell more permits, because I am sure most of the people would gladly get one for $100.00 for all the legal riding they have to offer.

Barrymaxx
04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
I would pay 100 without a doubt. You can ride for a year, on some of the best riding land in PA. Really cant beat that. I really hope they decide to sell more passes.

I plan to make a trip up there this summer some time. Its about 2 and a half hours from my house, but It will be worth it. We were thinking of doing a 2 day ride. Are there any hotels in the area, preferable cheap ones?

TargetBow
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry, but being that I live so close to those areas I always drive home after the days ride so I never really checked on hotels or campgrounds in the area.
I know there are some people on this forum that have stayed in local hotels and maybe they could chime in with there experience of the hotels.
Let me know when you and your dad decide to take the trip to Trevorton this summer and maybe we could hook up and I'll show both of you around the area.

brokenmike
04-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Hey, I have been to trevorton twice. That place is UNBELIVEABLE. I am from NJ and there is nothing even close to that here. I went up with my friend whose wife is from shamokin, so we rode from there to trevorton and back,that is a nice ride.I will be going up when it gets warmer. I have not heard of the Reading Anthracite access permits. Where do you get them and what do they do for you?

Barrymaxx
04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
That are permits that allow you to ride legaly on land owned by the reading anthracite coal company. The issue is is that they only sell a limited ammount of passes per year.

brokenmike
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I wish they did that in NJ. Where do you go to get them?

TargetBow
04-11-2007, 03:09 AM
This is copied from there web site but last time I E-mailed to check on how many they still had to sell they said they only had 35 more to sell what a bummer:

Reading Anthracite Company Access Permits will be available beginning January
15, 2007. The cost will be determined at a later date and will be posted on our
web site. The permits will be good for the calendar year 2007.
Permits will be available at our Pottsville office, 200 Mahantongo Street,
Pottsville, Monday thru Friday 8 :00 AM to 4:30 PM.
Because of the overload on our switchboard we request that all questions
concerning these permits be sent to us via E mail at dkemfort@ptd.net.
Permits give you permission to be on Reading Anthracite Company’s properties,
excluding those area where there is active mining or any other working
facilities or any posted properties from sunrise to sunset. Permission is granted
for recreational activities, excluding any overnight camping, dumping,
swimming or any organized events such as races or parties. Permit holders may
not have any type of fire on Reading Anthracite Company property and the use
of alcohol and drugs on Reading Anthracite Company property is strictly
prohibited.
Anyone wishing to hunt on Reading Anthracite Company property must have a
valid hunting permit issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Anyone wishing to take any type of licensed vehicle on Reading Anthracite
Company property must have a valid driver’s license and proof of registration
and insurance. No one under the age of 12 is allowed to ride on the property
either on their own vehicle or riding with another individual. Riders between
the age of 12 and 18 must have proof of attending a safety class certified by
the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and must be accompanied by a permitted
adult to ride on Reading Anthracite Company property.
We do not have maps of our property, but you can access maps by logging onto
the Schuylkill County web site and opening the Parcel Locator. Select by
parcel, then township, then name, then type in Reading Anthracite Company at
the top of the page. After you hit the search button the mapping information
will come up at the bottom of the screen. Click on the word map for your
map. Click on CAMA for a picture of the property.
Directions:
Coming from the south take Route 61 North to Pottsville. At the second
traffic light (see sign for One Norwegian Plaza) make a left had turn. Continue
straight through the next traffic light (M & T Bank on the corner) for one block
to a stop sign. At the stop sign make another left and continue for one block to
a stop sign. Our building is on the right hand corner.
Coming from the North take Route 61 South to Pottsville. At the second
traffic light (see sign for One Norwegian Plaza) you will make a right hand turn.
Continues straight through the next traffic light (M & T Bank on the corner) for
one block to a stop sign. At the stop sign make a left and continue for one
block to a stop sign. Our building is on the right hand corner.
Coming from the West take Route 209 to Pottsville. Continue straight thru
Pottsville, you will pass Sheetz and Burger King on your right as you are coming
into town. Continue straight coming into the center of town. You will pass a
war memorial where the road divides. The next block is a traffic light with a
Chinese restaurant on your left. Continue straight for one block after the light
and then make a right hand turn. Continue straight for one block to a stop sign
and then continue straight for one more block to a stop sign. Our building is on
the right hand corner.