PDA

View Full Version : cant keep skid plate on, and stripped out swingarm bolt hole to bolt up skid plate

400excaleb
04-08-2007, 03:25 PM
bought me a new skidplate and i bolted it up and it i rode and the bolts came out and it fell off so i bolted it up angin but using lock tight and it still did it so after many attempts and every time still falling off the bolt holes are now stripped and so what do i need to do to fix the bolt hoes and keep my skid plate on

hemi400ex
04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
u have to retap the hole and use a bigger bolt and use tread lock on it the first time u can pick up a tap and die set from anywhere its as easy as putting a bolt it to retap it

ricks450
04-08-2007, 03:47 PM
get a thread repair kit. (heli coils) you can repair the threads back to the same size and the threads will be stronger then they were. your local advance or pep boys etc.. i think they are 8mm bolts that hold the skid plate on not sure on thread pitch. just take the bolt with you. they are about 20 bucks but well worth it. and it come with a tap, inserter tool and a couple of the heli coils so you can repair several bolt holes.

Rip_Tear
04-08-2007, 04:04 PM
What colour loctite are you using? Are you allowing the set up time or just loctiting, torqueing and then riding? You really should give the loctite time to cure.

Barrymaxx
04-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Ive seen this happen many times with 400ex's. Use red loctite and let it set up for a day. Then ride it. Do it right the first time and you will be ok.

400excaleb
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
i used red loctight, then tightened up let sit over night then rode