PDA

View Full Version : (carb problem)

ricks450
04-08-2007, 03:23 PM
hey guys. my buddies got a 06 400ex. we just put a FMF powercore 4 slip-on on the bike and removed the airbox lid and snorkel. he got the dynojet kit from moose racing. i put the jet kit in and did exactly what they said do under 3000 ft. which was needle on third clip and 170 main, 3 1/2 turns out on air/fuel screw. the bike runs way to rich. it blows black smoke and it will bogg down if you slam the throttle wide open from a idle. you can let off the throttle and it will come back. you can bump the throttle once or twice and it will respond real good. we are about sea level here in VA. after playing i got the bogging out and reponding real good, that was first clip on needle,170 main and 1/2 a turn out on air/fuel screw. bike ran way to lean on a idle. so i turn the air/fuel screw out to 4 turns. the bike gave me a good reading on a idle, but the bogg was back and it ran to lean wide open. so now i figured the needle was not coming out the main far enough, now that it is on the first clip. by then it got to late and we couldnt do any wide open runs. i was just wondering if anybody has as gone through this? and if so what did you guys do or anybody that has knowledge on this what should i try. thanks alot guys any info will be greatly apprecaited :cool:

rescue6
04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I would use the adjustable needle from the kit since the 05 and newer bikes dont have an adjustible one stock and start on the third clip possition that is what matches the stock non adjustible one. Then get a 40 pilot jet because 4 turns is too much so it is time for a larger pilot. You could probably get away with a 42 as many do but I have never needed that big of a pilot. Then get a 150, 152,155,158 Keihn main jets ( I forgot how to spell it) it is just easier that way the aftermarket jets are measured differently so the numbers are off. I would install the 40 pilot and start with around 2 and 1/4 turns out then do final adjustments, and probably start with the 152 Main do a plug chop and you should be real close you may be able to get away with the 155 if you are running no lid.