PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy a YFZ, how much will it change..

Mattonedime
04-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I see a lot of quads going EFI now, in fact at the shop we have a 700R we are working on some parts for.. My question is; does anyone know or think that the YFZ450 will be fuel injected in the near future? I am going to buy a quad this week, but I would be bummed out if I picked up the YFZ and then next year they come out with an EFI version.. Any thoughts?

Mean250r
04-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Mattonedime
I see a lot of quads going EFI now, in fact at the shop we have a 700R we are working on some parts for.. My question is; does anyone know or think that the YFZ450 will be fuel injected in the near future? I am going to buy a quad this week, but I would be bummed out if I picked up the YFZ and then next year they come out with an EFI version.. Any thoughts?

anythings possible. Why does everyone want EFI so bad? The only good thing out of it is you dont have to jet.

oldskoolex400
04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
properly tuned fcr is better than efi anyday

bradley300
04-09-2007, 06:56 AM
now i'm not sure about that, i would think being able to tune nearly every throttle position with efi would be aot better than only being able to tune 4 with a carb. not to mention not having to re jet with the weather, altitude is a plus. that in its self makes me want it, not to mention the ultra crisp throttle response

oldskoolex400
04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
now i'm not sure about that, i would think being able to tune nearly every throttle position with efi would be aot better than only being able to tune 4 with a carb. not to mention not having to re jet with the weather, altitude is a plus. that in its self makes me want it, not to mention the ultra crisp throttle response

until 3 years later your electrical stuff shorts out in the middle of a race

Fred55
04-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
until 3 years later your electrical stuff shorts out in the middle of a race

Which is extremely unlikely to happen.....theres nothing different about the EFI wires and the ignition wires that are on your quad now, so unless you have a problem with your ignition or anything else on your quad shorting out, it won't happen.....I can't beleive how blind some people can be to the advantages of EFI over carbs....I guess they just are afriad of change.

oldskoolex400
04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Which is extremely unlikely to happen.....theres nothing different about the EFI wires and the ignition wires that are on your quad now, so unless you have a problem with your ignition or anything else on your quad shorting out, it won't happen.....I can't beleive how blind some people can be to the advantages of EFI over carbs....I guess they just are afriad of change.

personally i dont want to buy a $400-500 power commander, when i can buy some jets, and anything else needed for under 100

it really doesnt matter to me, i think the efi is overrated, i dont see the honda's or yamaha's having any problems beating the ltr's so the throttle response cant THAT bad:blah:

i believe awhile back gust removed the efi and put a fcr on there also

its going to come one way or the other though, doesnt matter if we argue it or not.

i also dont really want to bring a laptop to the track with me so i can change the mapping. not that its a bad thing, i just would rather have my tool bag and adjust the carb, one again personal preference

250r4life
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I can't beleive how blind some people can be to the advantages of EFI over carbs

enlighten me...

Mean250r
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
enlighten me...

yeah me two :o

oldskoolex400
04-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
enlighten me...

i want to know also

quadman 05400ex
04-11-2007, 06:15 AM
i think it would be cool to work on my quad with a laptop. it would be convenit

oldskoolex400
04-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by quadman 05400ex
i think it would be cool to work on my quad with a laptop. it would be convenit

how would it be convient?

Mean250r
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
how would it be convient?

LOL yeah, i would rather use good ol jets then a EFI set up

nicker71
04-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I would hold out until next years model. Im seeing new frame geometery in the future.....
dont take my word far it, just wait and find out for yourself.

old-XC-guy
04-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Its going to come down to what you like to work on . I can see both ways being ok... I also believe it has to do with how built your bike is. A stock bike I think the most you would want to do is re-map it to get max HP.. But would be a huge edge to the guy with the built bike. Example : I have a 9 sec Mustang , The car ran good most of the time , but do to weather you would have to re-jet or change the NOS to keep it running the same... I purchaced a MSD Digital-7- Ignition box that can be used with a lap top to tune and do whatever you want... Put it on a dyno and just by messing around with the laptop the car made 80 more HP. And now I can make it do what I want on the street or at the track. So with a built bike a guy could tune his bike for what he races XC, MX, Dune Drags ?? And get the max HP out of it or even take some power away in different areas to keep from blowing the tires off.. SOOO like I said its how much of a gear head you are and how important it is to get evry 1 or 2 HP out of something. Dont get me wrong a carb bike can made just as bad, but when it comes down to it wouldnt be easyer to plug a wire in and click a program to tell your bike what to do??

tt racer
04-15-2007, 10:03 AM
EFI is here to stay, it only benefits all us offroaders to keep the tree huggers happy. Its the future, its here, gotta deal with it.:D

TWILES
04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
If the FI could adjust itself a little it would be great. I ride a WR450 and getting to the carb is an act of god and a 2 hour+ process to rejet more than just the main and pilot. The 07 WR's and 06+ YZ's require the entire subframe to be removed to even take the plug out of the bottom to change ANYTHING. The only thing you really do that would change jetting in a bike is a pipe. It would be nice to plug into something that knew what it needed to be and let it go especially if the FI could compensate for temp and altitude changes from the base setting.