PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/new engine

John Reed
04-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello everyone,

Well I am a newb to this forum and to the 250r, but it was love at first ride for me when I picked up the one I have. It is an 86, and is mostly stock save for an FMF pipe. I bought it in pieces (engine was complete) and finished putting it together.

The bad news is, on the last ride I did, it started making some very bad noises, and smoking badly. Well the smoke was gearbox oil (ya, love seeing that). I towed it back, and my initial inspection seems to indicate the balance shaft bearing is wasted, which did some damage to the crank and put metal just about everywhere. I don't know the history of the engine at all, but I did put fresh Honda gearbox oil in before my first ride.

I haven't split the case yet, but should I attempt to fix it all, or just pick up a complete used engine for it? I haven't priced out any of the parts yet, but I am a bit nervous how much some of the stuff will cost from Honda.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

John

methyman
04-08-2007, 05:20 AM
First off get a sevice manual for the bike. Working on the motor is not hard at all. For parts got to Service Honda.com. The balancer can be rebuilt. The right side case might need to be replaced and if the crank is bad you can get a Hot Rod crank as a replacement. The problem with getting another engine is that you have no idea what to look for. Another engine might be cheaper but you need to find someone that knows alot more about the R motor than you do. Just my 2 cents and good luck. Been there done that!