PDA

View Full Version : CEL Needle????

tman
04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I just got a 89R. This is my 3rd R. I did a leakdown test on the motor fine (held 6psi for over 20min). Also compression test @ 165lb. Reeds are fine. My problem is 1/4 throttle bad miss like it's breaking up bad.

Only mods are open airbox, ESR type6 pipe, & stock carb. I'm at sea level to 1000 ft.

The jetting when I got it was:
165 main
Stock needle 2nd cilp down
42 pilot
1-3/4 turns out air screw

I'm now at :
160 main
stock needle 1st clip down
45 pilot
1-1/4 turns out

Bike starts fine. Idles fine. Runs great at wide open. Floats seem fine also.

I just can't seem to get the 1/4 throttle set. If I adjust the needle down to the 5th clip slot it way worse!!! So, I know I'm rich.

What would cause a stock needle to become so RICH???

Anyways I order a CEL needle. Will this work in a stock carb- engine set-up?

Would electrical be at fault here? ( doesn't seem like it to me)

I know what the problem is 20 year old junk CARB!!!! I should just throw it away & get a new airstriker.

I may do a larger motor kit later. If I would buy a carb is a 38mm to much for a stock motor? I would hate to have to buy a new carb when doing a larger motor kit later.

my88r
04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
i would go down in the size of the main keep the 45 pilot put it a the last clip at the top and 1.5 turns on the air screw. i have the same thing and i 140 when the weather is hot seems to lean it out a bit

just keep a eye on your plugs i would also put in a plug a start from there. i have had my bike quit on me and the plug didnt look fouled but it was put in a new one and it was okay.

tman
04-07-2007, 08:19 PM
I've gone as low as 152 main with no luck. At 1st, I though if the stock needle was wore out causing the over rich at 1/4 throttle a smaller main would help out. It didn't & at wide open with the smaller mains my plug chops were WHITE!!!!

U run a 140 main?

my88r
04-07-2007, 08:27 PM
ya when its hot i do. make sure there is any holes on the carb cap and make sure your float is correct.make sure your chocke is set rite if you turn it out it will turn your idle up turn it makes your thorttle go down.

if i where you i would buy a used carb that some one is parting out you can get one for a good price if you search around. i think you could run a 39 carb on there i think

custom R
04-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I ran a 38 a/s when my motor was mainly stock except a pipe and open air box and it ran great

have you tried a dgh needle I tried the cel needle and my bike started great and about 1/4 throttle it would fall on its face and about 3/4 it would take off again so I changed to the dgh needle 3rd clip and it ran fine after that

SuperChris
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
It sounds kinda far fetched and crazy, but I had a problem like that for a long time. It was my plug gap set to wide and the spark blowing out.