PDA

View Full Version : Big fin mod???

flauge
04-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I was looking on ebay a few weeks back and saw a head for sale that was said to have a big fin mod. It looked like plates welded onto the end of the stock cooling fins on the head to make ,well, a bigger fin..
Looks like it would help keep the engine cooler on the big bores but idk, thats the first time i seen one like that. Anybody heard of this mod??:confused:

4 shizzle
04-07-2007, 02:39 PM
This? (http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=144)

esr250r86
04-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I have seen them before, I never saw one in person or seen on perform but looks like it would be a good idea for a big bore engine or even to help the stock motors out.

flauge
04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah thats it! I was thinking about doing that whenever i decided to go big bore but idk about that now. THats a pretty hefty price tag on that job:eek2: .. still looks cool though..

BigFish
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
;)

underpowered
04-08-2007, 12:01 PM
one problem i see, clearance. it would work on a bike, but on a quad you would have to remove the entire motor to take the head on and off. it barely clears the frame rails as it is, so with the extended fins the motor would have to be removed from the frame to take off the head.

IMO a properly built bike that is properly jetted does not need them. my 426 on a stock sleeve does not run much, if any, hotter than a stock bike, but my jetting is as close as you can get without a dyno.

flauge
04-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
one problem i see, clearance. it would work on a bike, but on a quad you would have to remove the entire motor to take the head on and off. it barely clears the frame rails as it is, so with the extended fins the motor would have to be removed from the frame to take off the head.

IMO a properly built bike that is properly jetted does not need them. my 426 on a stock sleeve does not run much, if any, hotter than a stock bike, but my jetting is as close as you can get without a dyno.
I didnt think about that, looks like it would be aggrivatting just to get the head on and off. Guess i might as well stick with getting a better oil cooler.:ermm:

Underpowered, are you still on the stock oil cooler? B/c Im thinking about a 426 build sometime but im kinda scared about it overheating..oh well guess i could always resleeve it..:o