PDA

View Full Version : How to learn ATV engine repair

Evader53
04-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm currently 16 and would like to start learning about engines from top to bottom (ATV engines that is). Now that I own a quad I would rather do the work myself than take it in to get it worked on.

I want to learn all about the engine, from how it works, to how to tear it down totally and rebuild it, to knowing all the parts and what purpose they serve, and to tune up and fix ATVs

I would also like to learn about the ATV itself, more that just the engine, and how to maintain and fix it.

Is there any books, videos, classes, etc... that you could recommend to help me start to become knowledgeable on ATVs.

My ultimate goal is in a few years to buy an old junk suzuki quadsport, tear it down, fix and clean everything, and rebuild it into a working quad

Thanks!

AtvMxRider
04-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Evader53

My ultimate goal is in a few years to buy an old junk suzuki quadsport, tear it down, fix and clean everything, and rebuild it into a working quad

That is the best way to learn.

esr250r86
04-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, buy an old junk engine and rebuild them or just hang around somebody who knows how to rebuild and work on engines.

mx3mom
04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Jump in and get your hands dirty. You'll learn more by doing it than watching. Go slow, notice how everything is put together that way you can remember when you get ready to put it back together.

Eviltanker
04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
I started the same way. You just have to start doing it like everyone is saying. Who knows if you take your time and pay attention to detail people might start asking you to work on theirs too.

onesexyrider609
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Oout of all seriousness, there are many old junk Honda car motors at junkyards for your disposal. You can get one for like $75, and tear it down. You will find commonpoints in between the two as well as differences. And when you find the differences, you can begin to figure out what does what.

81 clark racing
04-13-2007, 06:42 AM
im wanting to do the samething. ive looked into mmi in florida and penn foster also