PDA

View Full Version : performance of banshee shock on 250ex

ryanh250ex
10-09-2002, 03:44 PM
as some of you might know, some 250ex owners take care of the lack of suspension by taking a stock banshee front shock and replacing the 250ex rear shock with the shee's front. i was told recently by someone that the banshee shock bottoms out easier than the stock shock- is this true? i don't understand that because to say 9.1 inches of travel bottom out quicker than 5.7 inches just doesnt make sense. but then again the 9.1 inch shock is a yamaha shock, so anything is possible.....

also, if the stock banshee shock fits right on the 250, couldnt you get a aftermarket banshee shock to fit as well? just a thought....

toby400ex
10-09-2002, 04:46 PM
The reason a banshee front shock would bottom out is because it is meant for the front(duh). And on the front there are usually two smaller shocks, and in the back there is more leverage on the shock because a swingarm is longer than an a-arm. Like when you try to take your wheels off with a small wrench it isnt easy but a bigger on is easier cuz you have more leverage. i hope that answered your question.:o

Leo
10-09-2002, 09:32 PM
just because the shock get's 9 inches of travel on the banshee does NOT mean your going to get 9 inches of travel on a 250EX (because of the placement of the shock mounts)..

I know there is at least one person floating around who has put a banshee shock on there 250EX, hopefully they will speak up and let you know what they think :)

Leo

bradley300
10-10-2002, 07:31 AM
dont do it! it may seem like a cheap fix for more performance but even the mags say the banshee has bad front shocks. plus using the shock out back will bottom and blow out much quicker than stock because of the extra wieght it has to carry. 'shee shocks are'nt rebuildable either so if it blows the first time out, your out money.

brokeitin3
10-10-2002, 11:13 AM
just buy the works and be done with it

ryanh250ex
10-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
just buy the works and be done with it

how much travel does the works rear shock have? i know the fronts by works have 7.1 in of travel. do you have works shocks? if so, are they worth getting?

slates74
10-10-2002, 07:10 PM
ryan its the quality of the travel which will make the difference in your ride not necessarily the quantity. A works shock will definitley be your best bet for your bike, there affordable and perform well. Another plus is that if you feel the shock is too rough or too soft you can send it back to works to get it resprung/revalved.

brokeitin3
10-10-2002, 07:11 PM
the fronts just arrived today, the rear is still on backorder. they are suppose to give 1" more travel front & rear. they look to be very high quality.