PDA

View Full Version : Reading Anthracite [Minersville Area]

TargetBow
04-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Here's a link to some pictures I took last year of the terrain that I came across while riding on Reading Anthracites land in the Minersville area. I hope this link works for anyone interested, if not let me know. Thanks!
http://www.box.net/shared/6dcaglghp4

Barrymaxx
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Wow, that is one cool spot. I would really like to ride there. Im going to get a pass to ride their land shortly.

Where do you park to ride? You can pm me if you dont want to post it here.

I love coal and hillclimbs

TargetBow
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Barrymaxx:
I currently park a short distance from the town of Minersville, it is hard to explain exactly where I park but you can park almost anywhere on Readings land provided you don't block anything.
If you would like, we could get together sometime and I'd show you around the area this spring.
There are a lot of hill climbs in certain areas you can try out plus there is also alot of land to just explore. There is open trails to go fast on and then there are some rough trails to ride on, it depends what you like to do.

Barrymaxx
04-06-2007, 03:22 PM
That sounds great. Im currently rebuilding my 400ex right now, But I hope to have it running in a couple of weeks.

Do you have a pass for the reading anthracite land?

TargetBow
04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes, I have a permit.
Just to let you know if you are thinking of trying to get a permit I e-mailed them to see how many more they have and they only have around 36 more to sell. I would check with them to see if they still have them before making the trip to pick one up. This year the lady who sells them told me they were selling 600 permits.

Barrymaxx
04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
What kind of requirements do you need for the pass? Im only 16, so according to their site, I need to take a saftey course. Ive been riding for years, but I just need that slip of paper.

TargetBow
04-07-2007, 06:08 AM
I would think if you check out when there will be a safety course given you would be able to pass it without any trouble. Everyone that takes a safety course usually passes because they are not meant to fail people they are meant to help them out and the instructors work with you till you pass. I think the insurance and registration they are talking about is meant for your tow vehicle, not your 4-wheeler. They required me to show that I had insurance on my tow vehicle and did not ask about any insurance on the 4-wheeler. I could be wrong on this, but they didn't ask for the 4-wheeler insurance that I have.

In the following link you will be able to find information on who to call and find out when and where a safety course is being offered in PA close to your area. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/safety.aspx
Hope this info helps and I would be glad to have an opportunity to ride with you and hopefully you could bring someone along closer to my riding ability and age which is [age 45 and some of the really big hills intimidate me into just watching while younger riders like yourself, and more experienced older riders tackle them]

The below info was taken from there web site:
Anyone wishing to take any type of licensed vehicle on Reading Anthracite Company property must have a valid driver’s license and proof of registration and insurance. No one under the age of 12 is allowed to ride on the property either on their own vehicle or riding with another individual. Riders between the age of 12 and 18 must have proof of attending a safety class certified by
the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and must be accompanied by a permitted adult to ride on Reading Anthracite Company property.

Barrymaxx
04-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Sounds good. I need to do that saftey course soon, and hopefully they have passes left. I dont know why they would only sell so many? They dont want my money?

And my dad is 49 and I always ride with him. He has a warrior. He does a couple hill climbs, but usually is just there for the ride.

Thanks for all your help.
Barry

TargetBow
04-07-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree with you on the permits, I don't know why they only sell a few like they do. You would think because they have more land than Tower City and Tower City claims to have around 2,000 members that it would be to there benefit to sell more than 600 permits, and believe me, there are a lot of people that ride there without permits because the availability of permits is so scarce so I don't think overcrowding would be a problem because the people are already riding without a permit and selling more permits would only make the ones riding without one legal and a plus for Reading would be more money in their pocket while contributing to the off-road riding experience.
Looking forward to showing you and your dad around sometime. And let me tell you Reading has more places to ride than Minersville area, this is just one that I had pictures uploaded to show. I have also been to Trevorton area which Reading owns the big coal hill that so many talk about on this forum so when you get a permit I could show you and your dad around that area also if you haven’t been there yet.
Good luck with your safety course and hope you’re able to get a permit.

Barrymaxx
04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Yea, I think selling a unlimited ammount of permits would be really bennificial. Im going to call the dcnr to find out when there holding courses. Hopefully there will be a couple of passes left, if not, ill just have to wait untill next year.

I do ride in some coal places that arent owned by the reading anthracite company. Have you ever been to freeland or ashland?

TargetBow
04-07-2007, 03:45 PM
No, I never have been to anyone of those places yet. I sure would like to find more places to ride that are legal because I really don't want to get in trouble for riding in places that don't want ATV's there.

Barrymaxx
04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Freeland isnt legal as far as I know, but weve never had a problem. Ive talked to many locals there, and if your respectful and dont destroy things or ride in active strip mines youl be fine. Theres always 50+ people up there any given weekend. When you shut off your motor, all you can hear is quads everywhere. It really brings alot of people into the town, which can be a good thing.

People dumping is the real problem. People just unload there pickup truck full of trash anywhere they want.

Your welcome to come with anytime we go up. Theres still alot of places I need to explore.