PDA

View Full Version : HC Stage 2 added...now ticking

jakescott312
04-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I just added a hotcams stage 2 cam to my 01 400ex, dg pipe and basically stock as far as motor mods...as soon as i started it up there was ticking comming from motor...could it be my valves or lifters or what...what to look for? could my cam sprocket be off by a little bit? please help me out

400eXr1d3rZ
04-05-2007, 04:36 PM
It's normal, I have the same Cam and I noticed a tick at low throttles and idle, aftermarket cams have a tendency to tick.

Muffer Bearing
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
How strong does it pull now? I am looking at possibly doing a cam upgrade in the near future but not sure if I want Stg 1 or 2 Thanks

jsmith2232
04-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I put the stage I in my 416 and am really happy with it, but they all will tick more then stock, it is common with the 400's

mr._bowtie
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Yep, just make sure the valves are adjusted right and dont worry about the ticking. Most stock motors will tick once they are hot. Then you change the cam and it gets louder. Not a big deal.

ride_red666
04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Muffer Bearing
How strong does it pull now? I am looking at possibly doing a cam upgrade in the near future but not sure if I want Stg 1 or 2 Thanks

depends on the riding your doing. i run the stage 2 in my 416ex and a stage one in the other ex. i think stg 1 is more for a stock motor. the stg 1 pulls harder in the bottom range than the stg 2 but stg 2 has more top end.

jakescott312
04-07-2007, 10:50 PM
thanks for the info...it pulls awesome on the hills and seems more responsive than my friends identical ex except he doenst have the cam. mine also seems louder too...the stage 1 is low end to mid range power and the stage 2 is for mid to top end...i love the cam...it is awesome...i kind of equate it as to having a 2 stroke...it feels as if it has a power ban now...almost like my CR did...its also easy to put in...i did it myself for the first time...ive never torn a motor apart before but it was easy...get the clymer manual and get to it...awesome mod

DF400ex
04-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I just installed a Stage 2 in my basically dtock 400. All I have is a K&N, and full White Bros E-Series exhaust. I already had plenty of low end power so I went with the stage 2. I have tons more power through all the revs but especially mid. Definitely worth the money IMO.

sportrax stu
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
would you be able to put a stage 1 cam in a 400ex with a standard can on and stock airfilter? does putting an aftermarket cam in affect engine reliability?

jsmith2232
04-08-2007, 05:23 PM
It can be done, you won't notice the increase in performance as much though, the cam will open your valves for a longer duration allowing more air in and more air out but without unrestricting the intake and exhaust it wont reach it's full potential. As far as reliability goes, anything you do can reduce reliability but...when properly done and jetted you almost nothing to worry about. I had all the mods done to mine a year ago and I beat the snot out of it almost everyday and she runs like a champ.