PDA

View Full Version : How many can relate?

TMSmx47
04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Whats up fellas.. Just curious how many you guys can relate to the same problem I keep running into here! This is two case covers within a year.. Now on my third. If others have the same problem, why hasn't a company tried to make something a little stronger? Its like $200 a pop.. literally! The cracked one is stock motor.. The exploded one is modded with 14:1 and alot more.. Thanks for lettin me share my feelings!.. Lol! :macho

esr250r86
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Wow. How does that happen? :confused:

400exrider707
04-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Mine cracked, but not nearly that bad, I was able to put some JB weld on it to see if it would hold, and so far so good, but I do not expect it to last very long...:ermm:

Flyin-Low
04-05-2007, 06:03 AM
wow, is that just from the kickstart popping back??

maybe take your case to a machine shop and see if they can reinforce that area at all??

-Martin

400exrider707
04-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
wow, is that just from the kickstart popping back??

maybe take your case to a machine shop and see if they can reinforce that area at all??

-Martin

Yep its from the kicker coming back. Apparently the TPS going bad might be the cause of some of these.

Also I doubt there is much you could fab on to a cast piece, but who knows.

chad502ex
04-05-2007, 07:00 AM
this is caused from lean condition on startup causing the mixture to 'pre-ignite' causing the locking mechanism on the kicker to force its way through the side cover.

Notice where the break starts from high upper corner of the cover where on the backside of the cover where the kickstart stop lever engages...

The issue is not the cover, but more an A/F mixture adjustment in the screw/pilot region.

400exrider707
04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
this is caused from lean condition on startup causing the mixture to 'pre-ignite' causing the locking mechanism on the kicker to force its way through the side cover.

Notice where the break starts from high upper corner of the cover where on the backside of the cover where the kickstart stop lever engages...

The issue is not the cover, but more an A/F mixture adjustment in the screw/pilot region.

Mine is definitely from my little brother holding the throttle wide open while kicking

also if the case is indeed jetting then why are the 450R motors the only ones that seem to be prone to it? You cant tell me everyone who doesn't own a Honda has their bike jetted perfect.:confused:

chad502ex
04-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Mine is definitely from my little brother holding the throttle wide open while kicking

also if the case is indeed jetting then why are the 450R motors the only ones that seem to be prone to it? You cant tell me everyone who doesn't own a Honda has their bike jetted perfect.:confused:

good question,...

but the reason honda doesn't want its customers to open the throttle on startup is that the engine will see an EXTREMELY LEAN CONDITION which will cause side cover catastropic situations like the one in this thread to happen.... a lean condition with the throttle partially held open will lean out the engine to the point as to cause kickback. A partial open throttle will allow more air than the pilot circuit can supply at the startup rpm. There won't be an accelerator pump shot either when the throttle is held during kick.

TMSmx47
04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Dang Chad.. Lol.. You think i should go up on my pilot and main?

Currently Baldwin 14:1, FCI, Dasa Ex, HC3, 185 main, stock pilot, HRC needle

400exrider707
04-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by TMSmx47
Dang Chad.. Lol.. You think i should go up on my pilot and main?

Currently Baldwin 14:1, FCI, Dasa Ex, HC3, 185 main, stock pilot, HRC needle

I dont see how the main would help at all, the pilot maybe, mess with your air screw. It should be changed everytime you ride the thing anyways for how easy it is to do.

chad502ex
04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I never said anything about your main. Your main seems right..

BUT YOUR STOCK PILOT should be changed to about a 52...

TMSmx47
04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
ok i'll try that then and see what it does.. Cant be any worse of an outcome..Lol!

PS Chad, both happened just pushing the kicker down, it popped and the kicker would remain stuck all the way down. Theres marks inside the case cover where the little center gear between the main kicker and big hub gear is.. The little one that rides in the bearing of the cover itself.. like its getting cocked funny. They are new bearings changed both times it happened. Still caused by kick back? At times it def kicked back on me, but not all the way up where the kicker stop would bust the cover out.

Fireman450
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Yea man Im going throught this right now my self. Mine busted out up next to the top kicker gear and blew every thing out the back. Mine got a chunk of the crankcase too so Im havin to to a complete rebuild while I have to tear it down. So I feel your pain, Hopefully we can find a solution to this problem.
Fireman450

04-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

Because the 450R is the only kicker. The rest have a button.

450rJam
04-06-2007, 03:47 PM
yeah and the honda button has problems also

im still riding red though.