View Full Version : Why do they have sound limits

firefighterjosh
04-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Why do they have sound lmits on pipes???

I can see at parks but why do they have these rules at the races?

Most of the races are 98 - 99db. I don't know many pipes the are much over 100db.

Just a thought

Pipeless416
04-04-2007, 08:45 PM
im not exactly sure why this is a rule on tracks either, but ya gotta remember that a lot of people ride their quads off the track too. maybe they're thinking if they set a limit at the tracks then it'll force people to be quieter around residential areas and parks? :confused:

rider250ex
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
beacuse people live near the tracks and more and more tracks are getting closed down becasue of complaints.

firefighterjosh
04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
beacuse people live near the tracks and more and more tracks are getting closed down becasue of complaints.

so my question is....wht is 99db limit going to do when 10 - 30 quads go roaring down a track? Maybe its a legal thing to show they try:confused:

ohsobad_chevy
04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
OK man.........I think we have all seen that piture enough times.....move on. :o

ZeroLogic
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Noise kills our sports. You do not need a freaking exhaust as loud as a cannon to go fast. :rolleyes:

I hate loud pipes with everything in me. Its killing our sport.

04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
i dont mind loud pipes really. I got used to the T5s on my banshee. I am not sure exactly how loud they were tho

400exrider707
04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
The AMA said to reflect a more positive view on our sport. Number one complaint from people outside of our sport is noise single handedly. They are just working to make our sport more respectable and have a better more positive image.

mach1stang
04-05-2007, 12:12 PM
yeah as much as i like loud race cars and stuff you dont want places shut down for somthing as dumb as it is to loud,

gbcap
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
so my question is....wht is 99db limit going to do when 10 - 30 quads go roaring down a track? Maybe its a legal thing to show they try:confused:

one bike at 99 db = 99 db

two bikes at 99 db = 99 db

100 bikes at 99 db = 99 db.

the level of sound NEVER goes up. it is a db level no matter how many thier are.

mach1stang
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gbcap

the level of sound NEVER goes up. it is a db level no matter how many thier are. ]

man i guess you really do learn somthing everyday, i never would of thought that, i thought it would of gotten a little louder.

ATC_KING
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
i love loud pipes. but i will keep it down at parks but on my track a home i love to make the neighbors wake up or what ever. but i dont like the cops that they call.:devil:

DF400ex
04-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Noise kills our sports. You do not need a freaking exhaust as loud as a cannon to go fast. :rolleyes:

Sooo true. The less people we piss off, the less the cops and law makers will bother us. No only if we can get people to stop tearing up private property with their quads. Destruction of property and noise are the two biggest complaints about quads.

DF400ex
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM

the level of sound NEVER goes up. it is a db level no matter how many thier are.

Well, theoretically it could get louder for a short amount of time if the sound waves hit each other in such a way that they create a greater amplitude, lol. But not likely:D

bwamos
04-05-2007, 12:57 PM

I can see at parks but why do they have these rules at the races?

Most of the races are 98 - 99db. I don't know many pipes the are much over 100db.

Just a thought

It's not as much for the sounds limits at the tracks.

It is because people emulate what the pros run. Look at the number of LT-R's w/ Fox shocks on them. Look at the number of Walsh/Axis setups. Number of "Race Cut" quads, etc...

If people see the Pro's running 93dB pipes.. people will start buying 93dB pipes because the coolest people in the sport are running 93dB pipes.

And the more people that buy 93dB pipes the better it is for everyone. I am one of the first that needs to quiet down my quad. ;)

esr250r86
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Environmental reasons.

406Z26
04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I cant stand loud pipes be it on a car, truck, ATV or even a Harley.

I have a Yoshi and its too loud for my taste, even with new packing.

sly400ex
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM

I understand the theory, but more quads will present more noise, not necessarily a higher decibel.

If that were true, that would be like saying one 15" subwoofers @ 105 dbs produces as much noise or "movement of air" as a 100 15" subwoofers playing at 105 dbs.

Now I guarantee that the 100 subs will be far louder than one sub playing at the same db level.

Same with quads.

parkers30
04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
I understand the theory, but more quads will present more noise, not necessarily a higher decibel.

If that were true, that would be like saying one 15" subwoofers @ 105 dbs produces as much noise or "movement of air" as a 100 15" subwoofers playing at 105 dbs.

Now I guarantee that the 100 subs will be far louder than one sub playing at the same db level.

Same with quads.

the speakers are technically different as they are projecting the exact same wavelengths at the frequency and timed together, creating a increase in intensity (dB's)

now with quads the chance that you have many if any all producing the same frequencies and wavelengths is unlikely, but not impossible, I am not saying it may not seem louder, but the dB level is only slightly higher if any at all

its all about not pissing off the neighbors especially as urban sprawl sets into even the most rural areas, people think they moved there for the quiet and they have to keep it that way :p

mephyst
04-05-2007, 05:17 PM
One of the things I don't get is when rangers start busting quads at the dunes for loud pipes, but then there at giant @$$ v8 sandrails that are 100x louder blowing by in the distance...

And there is a difference between having 1 quad and a racetrack full of quads even though they may all be the same dB rating. The consistency of the noise all the time from multiple quads is going to piss people off more than 1 quad.

firefighterjosh
04-06-2007, 02:54 PM
How much diffrence is there between lets say 98dcb and 102db?

Guess I could see AMA putting a 94db limit on quads but 99 to me isn't any diffrent then 102.

Also it is a race track I think it shoouldn't matter how loud it is.

I guess to me I want the most power I can get. Ussually with power comes loudness. I am not saying loud pipes make more power its just ussualy the outcome.

PolarisRider
04-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

dont you have a sparks?

LOL

sly400ex
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Between 98 and 102 is technically much louder.

I think what it is, you can have one quad hitting 100 db, but its only moving so much air (loudness).

But if you have 30 atvs producing 100+, much more air is being moved producing a louder effect.

I think it's really hard to explain, so where's the professional explanation at????:confused:

Wilkin or someone else wish to embellish????:)

06YFZ450SE
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
On my YFZ I have a Dr.D Exhaust and it has a nice tone and its loud enough for me.

I had a WS-6 with Hooker LT's 4" Offroad Y Pipe with no Cats to a Borla Mufflers it was loud but I liked it.

Xater
04-07-2007, 03:07 PM
its kinda dumb, around here we have alot of truck pulls and those things are wicked loud racing v8 + straight headers = ear killing loud. and thay go on all afternoon......

Seano300ex
04-07-2007, 03:09 PM
because ppl are gay haha

Robin Hood
04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
The only reason I don't like this rule is because everyday I hear at least 100 harleys blast down my road with easily 100+ dbs on each bike. Now for xc I can understand noise regulations, but on an mx track I find this a tad ridiculous.

I love the sound of a loud thumper or zinger, it gives me an adrenaline rush just listening to them. The old folks who complain about the noise can just turn their hearing aids down. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand how people can blast down a residential area pumping out 105db's on a daily basis, yet a recreational rider cannot produce over 95 or so on a track specifically made to house these bikes. :ermm:

yamahonda
04-07-2007, 10:49 PM
well they ***** bout 2 strokes and won so now they *****ing bout sound.. they win that... it will be we tear up too much land or something.. it will never end... us ppl that pay our taxes will soon be having a hard time riding anywhere.. there will always be something that ppl complian about... i say if the track is loud move or get used to it... its race day..

ohsobad_chevy
04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by yamahonda
well they ***** bout 2 strokes and won so now they *****ing bout sound.. they win that... it will be we tear up too much land or something.. it will never end... us ppl that pay our taxes will soon be having a hard time riding anywhere.. there will always be something that ppl complian about... i say if the track is loud move or get used to it... its race day..

Exactly......a look into the future almost appears like communism as far as recreational vehicles go. :ermm:

What I don't get is that NASCAR is sooo damn loud, but you don't hear anyone complaning about it. It's all a bunch of horse crap.

04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
itll never end. The moretime goes on the more money they will be sucking out of our pocket and the more people will be b -itching. We all might as wlel get used to it