PDA

View Full Version : My daughter flipped her Honda TRX90EX

joker11
04-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, I am posting this here for two reasons: I like riding trails better than other stuff, and I don't want to hear crap from the guys who ride the Imperial Sand Dunes.
I live in Yuma, AZ really close to the dunes and I hear about kids getting killed there all the time. My family is new to ATVs, we got them for Christmas, and I want to learn how to ride AND not get killed. So I posted in another thread that I didn't allow my family to the dunes....ok.
March 24th we were riding along Butterfield Stagecoach Road which is located about 12 miles east of Yuma. We were riding around the mountain and almost to the Ligurta restaraunt for lunch when my daughter hit a little double dip. The quad went airborne with her on it. It rolled a few times, landed on her and rolled over. Ambulance to the hospital. Helicopter out of Yuma to Phoenix, AZ. Ruptured spleen and possible spinal injury, possible elbow fracture.
The doctors REAMED my arse for letting my family ride at all, anywhere. We were riding single file, casually through the hills, valleys, and washes. She was wearing a helmet, chest protector, riding pants, riding boots, gloves and goggles. She didn't collide with anyone and only she got hurt. Usually in the dunes it's a collision or a kamikaze launching off a razorback pinned in 5th gear. I was so pissed off that they were yelling at me.
Long story short, the only piece of gear she lacked was a neck brace. NOBODY STOCKS THEM!! I never heard of them! But for 29 bucks you can order one! I suggest if you have kids, you get one. Just my 2 cents. But let's hear what you guys have to say.
PS. I feel lucky she ended up ok, no spinal damage, misdiagnosed. No surgery, spleen self healed. elbow seems ok. But I feel dumb because I was so sure i was protecting my kids from getting hurt at the dunes.

rescue6
04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Man, I am sorry to hear that. It sounds like you are doing a whole lot better than most at keeping them safe. Yes a neck roll is a good Idea. Only suggestion I have for you and others is to get the youngsters into a skills clinic or class offered to help them learn. I too am guilty of not wanting anyone else to teach my kids to ride but when my two went they listened more intentavely and were better riders then what I was able to teach them. I hope this does not keep her from riding again. I am a Firefighter / Medic and have been to many off roading accidents and most were not nearly as protected as you have her and that is probably why it did not end up even worse. I wish her the best of luck and a speedy recovery.

joker11
04-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Hey, you are a perfect example though of why I was so pissed off. You SEE these accidents and yet you still feel comfortable letting your kids ride their atvs. I almost had the knee jerk reaction of stopping them from riding, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized they do more dangerous things unprotected everyday.
As we left the hospital we hit the Honda dealer in Phoenix cuz we don't have one here in Yuma. We have ATV dealers, but this was a HONDA store. Awesome. She was picking out her new gear.
She will ride again, but I found what the BIG problem was. She can't see. I couldn't find prescription goggles and the Oakleys she has don't comfortably fit over her glasses. So until I fix that problem she is grounded. Plus she has 4 weeks of recovery anyway.
I went riding this last weekend and saw a lady with no gear, her toddler in her lap, no gear and her other kid on the back, no gear. These people ride their BABIES on the quads and no protective gear at all! not even a helmet. So I heard a guy had his 8 month old on his atv and lost control and killed the baby. My dad told me about it. He read it in the Press Enterprise in Riverside, CA. But not sure where it happened.
:grr:

esr250r86
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey man, I understand were you are coming from. I also live in Yuma,az and I go to the imperial sand dunes all the time. It does get crazy out there. I have had many close call myself. I just broke my collarbone on my quad and am definitely investing in a neck brace before I go back because it could have probably been prevented had I had a neck brace on. I dont know if you know about jackrabbit, but all of these people go there and ride on sundays with no helmets, riding doubles and even three people on one quad and they are drinking, anyway thats why they shut jackrabbit down because people were getting hurt and trying to sue the city for their own mistakes. at least you got all your safety equipment for your kids, I usually go out to the dunes on an off day like thursday when no ones there and it is nice.

04-05-2007, 03:36 AM
don't feel bad, the doctor is probably anti atv. you have more protection on here than i wear. i just can't find a chest protector that seems to fit me right...i am on the small side and adult smalls feel too big, while kids are way too small. anyway, ignor the anti-atv doctor. enjoy those quads...

JAYKNIGHT
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
the guy that killed his kid while rideing both of them on a quad happed here in se pa and his dumba** went to jail as he should have i think it was for 3-4 years should be longer imo

jordan_400ex
04-05-2007, 05:09 PM
thats really dumb that the doctirs treated u that way.you should have just said are u hear to help my child or to disrespect me for no reson.mayeb u shoulda told him u shouldnt be being a doctor anyways.reminds me of the geico with the cave man and the therapist lol.

Johnny & Monica
04-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Your girl could have been hurt on a bike , skate board , playing baseball , ect. I feel the Doctor was in the wrong for blame placing . I hope the crash didnt scare her from riding again . Good luck .

esr250r86
04-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
Your girl could have been hurt on a bike , skate board , playing baseball , ect. I feel the Doctor was in the wrong for blame placing . I hope the crash didnt scare her from riding again . Good luck . exactly.

WickedQuad
04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Amazing such an idiot was able to earn a doctor of medicine degree.

Had you been in a car accident with your daughter properly belted in would he have acted as such a twit??

I hope your daughter is well and you realize an MD after a name does not mean intelligence is a foregone conclusion.

My daughter went off two different quads on the same 6 foot hill, the second time she cried as she twisted her ankle a bit, and I felt bad for pushing her, but I believe in facing ones fears.

She went back last week without me, and took the hill several times and another higher one as well....

Nothing feels better to see a young woman become more and more confident and able to face her fears..

Ride on!

blasterandy
04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
you should get all one color gear like yellow so she looks like a banana... JK
I am really pleased that parents take the roll to try and influence good protective habbits. Tho i only where a helmet and when i ride on unfamilar trails or on any mx track, boots. But they are still a very good measure to take. Tho the parent can still sometimes be to blame because they bought an atv that is just too big for the child.

Honda4lyphe
05-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey man, stuff happens all the time. I think everyone who has ridden an atv for 5 years has had a good wreck or 2, i respect your choice of keeping your family safe, but this in this sport there is always going to be alot of risks no matter what even if your the safest rider. Being a father though i can totally understand where your comeing from. You gotta keep practiceing, like when you see a steep hill..keep your momentum no matter what just alot of things like that. Its like making a new recipe for some good food, its all about trial and error till you learn it all right. I say keep this sport in your family! I rode all my life and man i dont know what id be doing without it. But never give up, wear yalls gear of course but i see you covered that.

As for the glasses id suggest to but some scott goggles and cut out 2 grooves on the sides of the goggles so the glasses can fit on there without bending anything, or get her contacs if you think shes old enough..trust me contacs make a world of difference in life! Goodluck! Ride hard and ride long!

joker11
05-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I never considered contacs because of the dust and dirt....didn't seem like a good combo. But I guess I will give it a try if she wants to!
Thanks

flyboy62
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
im sorry to hear about your daughter:(
i think that nackbraces are good however i think that they dont let your to do your best . i say that because i have an evs neckbrace and i never wear it because when i do the mx thang i cant move my head at all!! but my dad keeps bugging e to wear it and now he said that if I dont waer it the next time we go riding then he wont let me ride:(
plus it makes me feel like a giraffe because it streaches my neck!!

07250ex
06-02-2007, 01:05 PM
yeah doctor shouldn't have yelled at you but if you have a good flat spot for her to ride i would suggest buying a nice little dirtbike for her to ride because if she can get dirtbike fundamentals down she will do much betteron her quad also im not to big on those little trx 90s much to small(body size) i had a yamaha breeze 125 automatic as my first quad (now yamaha grizzly 125) its a great quad for little kids because it has full floor boards its a little bit wider and longer idtake a look at one just keep riding guys you will get much better as time goes buy also about getting hurt in the dunes falling in the sand is not as bad as trails with rocks,ruts,roots,hard dirt, hills to fall down

WickedQuad
06-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by flyboy62
im sorry to hear about your daughter:(
i think that nackbraces are good however i think that they dont let your to do your best . i say that because i have an evs neckbrace and i never wear it because when i do the mx thang i cant move my head at all!! but my dad keeps bugging e to wear it and now he said that if I dont waer it the next time we go riding then he wont let me ride:(
plus it makes me feel like a giraffe because it streaches my neck!!

I would tell your Dad that it stops you from being able to see all the areas that you need.

On the trails you need to be able to see to all sides and even glance behind you at times.

Does Dad wear one??

If not use that against him too lol

honda4life72
06-02-2007, 09:09 PM
my motto lol

the hard way is the fun way lol

only reason i can ride as good as i can now is cuz i crashed and stuff when i was younger and figured out what to do and what not to do lol

blasterandy
06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I figured this one out :D Four wheelers cant climb trees. That was my first tie rod 90 Degrees. suprized i only bent one.