PDA

View Full Version : WEB CAM or HOT CAM

chevy400racer
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
im want to bore my 400ex out to a 426stroker and put a weisco piston in it, but should i either put a web cam or hot cam in it... i dag race and ride woods and trails.

Thanks

mr._bowtie
04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I personally would go with the Hot Cam. I put a big Web Cam in a 416 I built and wasnt all that impressed with it. I thought that my buddies that had Hot Cams, and less motor work were running way to good compared to where I thought mine should have ran. Just didnt see the gains with Web that I expected. Thats my .02 cents

hondaguy20
04-04-2007, 02:49 PM
web makes bigger cams for the 400ex but for what you want i would go with a stage 2 hot cam.... if you wanted to oval, ice race or tt i would go wiht a large web just because of thier selection of cams... they are both great quailty of cams though

XXXRACER165
04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I put a stage 2 Hot Cam in my 440EX. It is a long duration cam which focuses on mid to top end power. If you want torque, get a stage 1. (NOTE: Stage 1 cam requires slight cylinder head machining to fit larger cam lobes).

mad440
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
i know you wanted an opinion between the hot or web cams, but im going to throw another name out there for you, megacycle cams, I had both thier mx (440 stroker) and tt/drag (440 big bore) type grinds and was very happy with both. between the web or hot cams id say go with the hot because its a drop in and they dont require hardwelded rockers which all the webs do except their base line grind, either company makes a great product and i dont think you will be disapointed, just make sure you get the proper grind for your application....my .02

400exrider707
04-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
I put a stage 2 Hot Cam in my 440EX. It is a long duration cam which focuses on mid to top end power. If you want torque, get a stage 1. (NOTE: Stage 1 cam requires slight cylinder head machining to fit larger cam lobes).

None of the hotcams require any machining at all.

The web cams you will need to get your rockers hardfaced though because they are a hard-welded cam, not billet like the hotcams.

bah1491
04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
think about it this way....why do you think all the big names like curtis sparks, and other engine builders use webcams? i think it obvious, any cam that requires stiffer valve springs, shortened valve guides, and such, is going to out perform a drop in cam....i wouldnt exoect a huge difference in power with any hotcam unless you do port work, and valve springs, and new valves....everything compliments somthing

pigpin
04-06-2007, 10:50 AM
ive got a 426, and i run the old stage III hotcam, which is the new stage II, deff recomend it!!

mr._bowtie
04-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bah1491
think about it this way....why do you think all the big names like curtis sparks, and other engine builders use webcams? i think it obvious, any cam that requires stiffer valve springs, shortened valve guides, and such, is going to out perform a drop in cam....i wouldnt exoect a huge difference in power with any hotcam unless you do port work, and valve springs, and new valves....everything compliments somthing

The motor that I used a Web Cam in was a 416, 11.5:1 wiseco, ported head, 3 angle valve job, polished combustion chamber. I dont know if I just didnt have enough displacement to take advantage of the larger cam or what but I really didnt think that it performed as well as some friends motors that were running the Hot Cams. But it was a drop in cam also, I didnt have to do anything to the head to get it to work.

My best friend had a straight 400 with a 11.5:1 wiseco, stage II hotcam, and a shaved flywheel, he weight about 40-50 lbs less then me and could run right with me down low. I pulled on him top end but I just wasnt all that happy with the cam.

bah1491
04-07-2007, 01:48 PM
it probablly wouldnt be too much of a difference on a drop in, but in mine, ive got a valve job, new valves, shortened guides, stiffer springs, pretty much the works , port and polish too....like i said, i feel that everything will compliment somthing

K_Fulk
04-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by mr._bowtie
The motor that I used a Web Cam in was a 416, 11.5:1 wiseco, ported head, 3 angle valve job, polished combustion chamber. I dont know if I just didnt have enough displacement to take advantage of the larger cam or what but I really didnt think that it performed as well as some friends motors that were running the Hot Cams. But it was a drop in cam also, I didnt have to do anything to the head to get it to work.

My best friend had a straight 400 with a 11.5:1 wiseco, stage II hotcam, and a shaved flywheel, he weight about 40-50 lbs less then me and could run right with me down low. I pulled on him top end but I just wasnt all that happy with the cam.

You can drop in a web cam but, eventually the coating will wear away on the rockers. And will ruin your cam and rockers eventually.

It also depends what grind you go with. On my 465 I started with the smallest cam web had ( cant remember the grind number) since I had it laying around. It had tractor torque with that cam but didn't rev out so well. A couple months later i switched to the megacycle x 6 cam, and it revved a lot faster, better top end and I didn't notice a loss of bottom end power.

If you want every last drop of power and your not worried about spending the extra cash for valve springs, hardened rockers and shortened guides. Go with the webs or a megacycle.

If you want to spend as little money as possible go with the hot cam, you will still get decent gains ( at least on the 400ex).

The most important thing is to get one that suites your riding style. Your not going to be happy with a cam made for torque , if you like to bounce of the rev limiter all the time.

JW450R1
04-08-2007, 05:23 AM
hot cams are nice