View Full Version : Anyone see Dateline ?

jal232
04-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Caught Dateline last night after class, and they were doing a special on Identity Theives, and they actually set a meeting up to meet this people in person leading them to believe they were going to be doing business. So the people show up and the host is asking them all these questions....etc...and it finally gets to a point where the guy admits he is lieing, and is working ofr some made up identity. He then says sorry and that he lies all the time, and that all people do this...They tell him he is on Dateline, he has no idea being from Nigeria, then they let him go.

They cant make any arrests on them. They said that 1% of identity theft cases actually get prosecuted...(thats BS)

FOund it interesting, just wondered everyones thoughts on this?

fandl450r
04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Internet crimes are tough to prosecute (atleast I was told this in Business Law) I think it's ridiculous these kinds of people get away scott-free but people need to start wising up so they don't get caught in a scheme.

jal232
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Definately, I learned that in Bus. Law also, it just still doesnt make any sense that we have no jurisdiction over that stuff.. But you can guarantee that the feds are working on that right now. THey talked about how they are trying to pass a law or something so that they can take some kind of action.

But yes, people just have to be smarter when using there money over the internet. Always be skeptical.

PismoLocal
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Identity theft is one of those things that any one can do. Its probably harder to shoplift something from wal-mart than it is to steal some ones identity. I work in the mortage dept at a bank right now that has over 10,000 past clients. I can just pull up any of there files and see there address, credit reports, ssn, bank account #'s, and Drivers license. All it would take for me to steal there identity is to fill out an online credit card app and have it sent to a PO box.

Ralph
04-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Identity theft is one of those things that any one can do. Its probably harder to shoplift something from wal-mart than it is to steal some ones identity. I work in the mortage dept at a bank right now that has over 10,000 past clients. I can just pull up any of there files and see there address, credit reports, ssn, bank account #'s, and Drivers license. All it would take for me to steal there identity is to fill out an online credit card app and have it sent to a PO box.

But your ip address is most likely logged wit hthe credit card company and it will be hard to set up the po box as well since usually 2 forms of id are required.

coolex
04-04-2007, 02:36 PM
he said he could pull up 4 identification ways and make a new account

PismoLocal
04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
But your ip address is most likely logged wit hthe credit card company and it will be hard to set up the po box as well since usually 2 forms of id are required.
You can get a post office box online and use some one else's identity to get it. But you wouldn't have to have things shipped to a post office box you could have them shipped to a house down the street, an abandonned building, empty office, any thing would work as long as you get to the mail before before any one else does. As far as IP's go some one could just use any computer that is open to the public. Library computer, campus computer, something along those lines.

I would never do it but the point is its relatively easy and pretty low risk compared to stealing some ladies purse as she leaves the bank.

HB416EX
04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
That guy was a lonely loser and he thought that chick liked him.She had him shipping her all kinds of stuff.It's very sad that someone can be that stupid.

DF400ex
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
That is why my major is Cyber Security with a concentration in Information Assurance.

jal232
04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
You can get a post office box online and use some one else's identity to get it. But you wouldn't have to have things shipped to a post office box you could have them shipped to a house down the street, an abandonned building, empty office, any thing would work as long as you get to the mail before before any one else does. As far as IP's go some one could just use any computer that is open to the public. Library computer, campus computer, something along those lines.

I would never do it but the point is its relatively easy and pretty low risk compared to stealing some ladies purse as she leaves the bank.

Thats what these people in Nigeria were doing, I guess its teh capital of the world for identity thieves. They all go to online cafe's everyday, all day...they have nohting else to do