PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle...help! finger numb!

balls2da-wall
04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
I race harescrambles and lately my thumb has been going numb within the first half hour of the race. Ive never had this problem, but with my new quad it seems as though my throttle is sticking too far back...by that i mean ive got to reach my thumb back (towards me) to get a hold of it...id rather have it farther foward...I also added a thumb extention to make it so it takes less force to push on the throttle, but this just makes my problem of the throttle being too far back worse. Can you adjust this or could I even bend the throttle? It looks like cast aluminum and I dont know how well it will take to bending.

Ideally I would like to move the throttle further up the handlebars and adjust the throttle so its farther forward so I could use the extention as if it was a normal throttle.

Ive have considered using a twist/thumb all-in-one, but dont think a twist would be a wise choice for XC racing...I also think it would be akward.

duke416ex
04-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Have you tried loosening the screws on the bottum of your throttle and moving it around on your bars to see if you can find a more comfortable position? If that doesn't work there are several thing you can do, remove the return spring, new cable(depending on quad age), or even a trx90 lever. If it is an 06 you might want to look into a tokyo mod spring, but I would try moving it abound a little first.

balls2da-wall
04-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Its a 2005 450R...I only have 3 races on the quad. Ive tried the TRX90 throttle on my 400ex and it worked alright, but this extension is much better if only I didnt have to stretch my thumb so far back to reach it.

duke416ex
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I would just try moving it around then until you find the spot you like best.