View Full Version : carb choice

drsnugfit
04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Ok guys I am looking at fitting an aftermarket carb to my EX, I am about to fit a 440 kit, I already have a stage2 hotcam, exhaust, K&N ect.

I have seen elderbrock carbs on ebay, they are the doug iechner series ones and come already setup for the 440 ex.

I have also seen cheaper kehien FCR flatside 39mm carbs.

my question is this, wich will I get better performance from?

is the difference in price worth paying for the elderbrock?

thanks.

Honda#4
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I think the FCR carbs have better response than the edelbrock carb, some people have good luck with the edelbrocks but most people I think run FCR carbs.

PismoLocal
04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I decided to go with the 450r carb on my 440. I have seen dyno sheets comparing the 450r to the fcr and stock. The 450r can give you up to a 4hp gain depending on your motor and jetting. FCR will give you slightly more power but it costs 3x as much and the power difference is only marginal. I picked up my 450r carb off ebay for $100 and then bought some jets from jets-r-us for around $20. My motor build was on a budget so I went with the 450r carb but if you absolutely want the most power the FCR is where its at.

drsnugfit
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
have seen an fcr 41mm carb from a ktm 525 thats quite cheap, do you this would go well on the big bore 440?

drsnugfit
04-04-2007, 01:18 PM
do you think it would need much modding to fit?

zrpilot
04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I decided to go with the 450r carb on my 440. I have seen dyno sheets comparing the 450r to the fcr and stock. The 450r can give you up to a 4hp gain depending on your motor and jetting. FCR will give you slightly more power but it costs 3x as much and the power difference is only marginal. I picked up my 450r carb off ebay for $100 and then bought some jets from jets-r-us for around $20. My motor build was on a budget so I went with the 450r carb but if you absolutely want the most power the FCR is where its at.

I agree 100%.... for the money the 450R carb is the best for the $$. Be careful about buying any old FCR. One of the things that makes the FCR work in the after market is you can change the front and rear air horns to different diameters and lengths to fit your application, however NOT ALL FCR's can do this... so be careful. Go to www.sudco.com to learn more about aftermarket FCR carbs.

I had extra $$ so I bought the FCR from Colby at C&D, but it was 3X more then a used 450R carb. It fit perfectly, and made a big difference for my 416!

Good luck.