PDA

View Full Version : Please help! I haven't been able to ride in over a month

jfor
04-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey folks. Need some help here. I have 2002 HONDA TRX400EX. Paid 1400 for it right after Christmas. Ran real strong. Second gear started acting funny. Sooo. I took the motor apart and sure enough 2nd gear on the main shaft was toast. Ordered a new 2nd gear and put it all back together with new gaskets. Thats when i found out that my 400ex actually has 440 big bore kit in it. This is where i started having some problems. Basically it just started out as oil leaks around the cylinder heads. Took the top end apart and put back together. Got rid of the oil leaks. She was slipping real bad so I checked the clutch plates and sure enough they were toast. Ordered a Barnett HD clutch kit. Put those in and when i went to try and start it back up. I got nothing but backfire.

I thought.. hmm maybe it jumped timing or something. Retimed the camshaft and put it back together still nothing. I am thinking now that it is an electrical issue. the spark looks kind of weak. It is an orangish color. It also has an aftermarket CDI "Rev box". In searching the web about my issue I have read that these aftermarket CDI's tend too advance the timing. Is there any truth in that statement. If it does, how do i need to set my timing so I can get this thing back to running. Also, is there anyway to check and see if the coil is good? I hate, hate, hate electrical issues.

Please help!!!!
Josh

XtremelyCrazy
04-04-2007, 08:20 AM
My builder told me NOT to do the rev box and / or Curtis Sparks timing key with aftermarket bores and pistons.

Too many variables.

I'd chuck the rev box, and start over.

400exrider707
04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Put a stock CDI on it and I bet it fires right up;)

Also if you used anything like Tusk gasket kits... expect the head gasket to leak often. Replace with a cometic and your problem will disappear.

jfor
04-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Put a stock CDI on it and I bet it fires right up;)

Also if you used anything like Tusk gasket kits... expect the head gasket to leak often. Replace with a cometic and your problem will disappear.

Yeah... It was rebuilt with Cometic top end gaskets. Will check with the local Honda shop about a stock CDI. Thanks guys!

400exrider707
04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jfor
Yeah... It was rebuilt with Cometic top end gaskets. Will check with the local Honda shop about a stock CDI. Thanks guys!

Ok first, you can get a used stock cdi on this website for like $20. Secondly if you used cometic gaskets you probably have bigger problems then. What compression is the piston? Im willing to be your head studs are pulled. You will probably need the GT Thunder heavy duty stud kit installed. If you are running over 12:1 see what rod is on it as well, if its the stocker, you will want a heavy duty rod as well. Just some things to think about. Also your head could be warped, although probably not as likely as studs pulling out.

jfor
04-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Ok first, you can get a used stock cdi on this website for like $20. Secondly if you used cometic gaskets you probably have bigger problems then. What compression is the piston? Im willing to be your head studs are pulled. You will probably need the GT Thunder heavy duty stud kit installed. If you are running over 12:1 see what rod is on it as well, if its the stocker, you will want a heavy duty rod as well. Just some things to think about. Also your head could be warped, although probably not as likely as studs pulling out.

Compression is 11:1. It has a Hot rods rotating assembly in it. How can I tell if the studs are pulling out? Also, how can I tell if they are the stock studs or HD studs. Sometimes it sucks buying used and not knowing what someone else did.