PDA

View Full Version : Truck desicion.

1fst400
04-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I have been driving my ranger latley. But race car season is coming up and my ranger doesent quite tow my race car. It probly will but to scary.

So I have my 89 chevy 1500 4x4 that has been sitting around for a while now. I brought it into the garage today. It seems to have a 5.7L motor in it. An exhaust manifold leak, brake lines bad to 3 out of 4 wheels, and I notice a CV joint Boot is riped on the pasengers side which I may have done when pushing it inside with the forklift. The truck hasent moved in nearly 2 years, I put the batery charger on it and it fired up no problems, the oil pressure seems to be at the upper end of the guage at 60psi.

So im just trying to make up my mind on wether it is worth fixing this truck or not. I can do all the work myself just fine.

Plus if I get this truck going, I can drive it around while I lower my ranger more and put my 5.0l motor in it.

firefighterjosh
04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
sell them both and buy a nicer truck...but thats just me:ermm:

TXATVRIDER
04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I drive a 4 Door Dodge V-8 i love it. Tows my buddys 19" Baystealth Center Console boat like nothing. I mean there made to tow ****. I'm sure something like that will pull that car just fine.

underpowered
04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
i say fix up the chevy. if it runs, i say drive it. it will pull a car no problem, but i will say the TBI motors are down on power for a V8.

72 chevelle ss
04-04-2007, 09:12 AM
My dad used to have that same exact truck. We used it to tow our 22 x 8 loaded with his camaro to Pigeon Forge every year and never got any problems with it.

NorCalRacer
04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
My buddies junking an '88 right now. No CV's, but good brake lines, etc. Shoot me your address and parts you want in a PM, I will ship to you free for cost of shipping. Don't be shy, It's going to the wrecker next week. I've already got my goodies:D Thats good pressure for a 350, you can fix the exaust leak with a gasket (or I can send you a new manifold) and you'll have one of the tougher trucks ever built.

KB Motorsports
04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I would fix the old truck and drive it! Brake lines aren't very expensive, and the 5.7 can always upgrade to some hooker headers (150-350.00)

In my opinion its worth it.:cool:

kbm (http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/cart2)

underpowered
04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by KB Motorsports
I would fix the old truck and drive it! Brake lines aren't very expensive, and the 5.7 can always upgrade to some hooker headers (150-350.00)

In my opinion its worth it.:cool:

kbm (http://www.kbmotorsportsonline.com/cart2)

yupp, had headers on my 92 with a TB space, injector spacer. great trucks, mine had over 230xxx miles before the motor let go, re built it an dhad another 15k on it when i sold it.

mr._bowtie
04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Years ago we had a 89 Suburban 2x4 with that same motor... We used it to pull our drag car all over the midwest and it handled it great! I mean your not gonna town with a new diesel truck but for the money itll cost to fix it (which isnt much) Id use it in a heart beat unless you have something like a 30' enclosed goose neck tralier lol... Most car trailers shouldnt work it to hard though..... Just remember that thing has a 700r4 tranny... do NOT tow in overdrive or youll burn it up. Pull it down into 3rd for towing and youll get along great!

1fst400
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Today I replaced the front brake line that was leaking. ( rear ones still pinched for now). I drove it around the yard for 20 minutes or so. The sputter that it had seemed to start to cleer up after I put some new gas and additive in it. Not shrue if the additive did anything but it was only 2$.

The truck seems to be somewhat solid, starting to rust around the edjes, cab corners and rockers have been replaced. The guy I bought it from claimed the motor had been replaced riecently, odometer says 230,000. He also attacked it with a flat black spray bomb. I have a budie that is real good at body work, he hates doing it but is great at it. Once I get all the mechanical glitches out of it I may tune it up right.