PDA

View Full Version : 400ex electrical problem

hotrodbelair
04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
im in the process of rebuilding my 400ex i just switched over all the wiring. before i started tearing it apart i made sure it would turn over and have spark wich it did. so i switched the hole thing over to the other frame hooked it all up turned the key nuetral light came on hit the starter button it went pop nothing the nuetral light turned off. i disconected the ground and hooked it back up nuetral light comes on again hit the starter same thing as before. so i tried reconecting the ground again but it didnt work. so i tried jumping the starter relay with a screwdriver that didnt even work. so im thinking its the starter relay but i dont know why it went out though any ideas?

the Z Man
04-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I have had where the ground wire looks good but was broken in the plastic sleeve, try tearing back the plastic a little and make sure your ground is secure.. check it with a voltage tester, has to be the ground. Z.

mad440
04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
when my buddy wired in his kill switch for his 300ex he did it wrong and blew a fuse and so the bike would not do a thing electrically. im sure you were careful with the switch but i would go over it again make sure wires that are not supposed to be touching arnt and that all your grounds good. check the fuse most likely its blown

hotrodbelair
04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
the fuse good we tested that the only thing im thinking is that its a fresh powder coated frame is that maybe its not grounding. and the only way we could get the neutral light to turn on is if we have the test light on the starter realy and the light was going from the negitive to the starter realy idk jack aobut electrical im just trying to remember what all we did cause i aint next to the fourhwheeler right now its over at a friends house. and also when we hooked it up to the starter realy the light would be dim then i hit the starter button it wouldnt turn over but the light would get realy bright. thanks for the replys so far.

the Z Man
04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Powder coated frame? definitely ground..

hotrodbelair
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
ok i wont be able to check it till tomarrow after work but what do you think i should do just grind down to bare metal where it grounds off at. anything elses i should check to just so i have other stuff to look for? and thanks for all you answers been very helpfull.

bids400ex
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I had the same exact problem today, i just powdercoated my frame and got it back together as well and it was good on its first ride yesterday. Then today nothing like you said, I took the ground off and made sure it was good put it back on and now its fine again. Ryan

hotrodbelair
04-05-2007, 11:09 AM
i cleaned up a spot on the frame and reconected my ground still nothing. i did take the 2 little wires off the starter realy and connected them to the battery and it made that clicking sound like it did before so if it is the starter relay how could it have went bad like that?

HPIcamaross
04-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Replace the fuse