View Full Version : Paintball gun advice......

Rider-trx_250ex
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I love my 98 Custom, it is very flexible, modification wise. Now I need a gun that shoots faster. My options are 1.)keep my 98 and buy response trigger, 2.)keep the 98 and buy an Ion or similar gun, or 3.)sell the 98 and buy the newer custom or custom pro with e-trigger. Either way I go I would still like to own a Tippmann. Any advice?

YZ400EX
04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
It really all depends on your style of play.. if you play woodsball I would say dump the 98 and get an a5, but if you are into speedball go with something like an ion or other cheap electronic semi auto until you really get into playing..then you will want something high end..

Rider-trx_250ex
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
It really all depends on your style of play.. if you play woodsball I would say dump the 98 and get an a5, but if you are into speedball go with something like an ion or other cheap electronic semi auto until you really get into playing..then you will want something high end..

That is exactly the reason I'm debating on those guns, I play woodsball and speedball.......in the woods. Not often do my frinds and I go to courses. I want 98 versatilitly, with electronic speed.............ya mean?:D

Villageidiott23
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
ION all the way.....

killerofcrows48
04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
2 of my friends have response triggers, and lemme tell ya what, they shoot FAST but have ZERO accuracy.

TRX_450
04-04-2007, 03:36 PM
i gotta 98 custom modded with the r/t kit ill sell ya...PM if interested

Rider-trx_250ex
04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
i gotta 98 custom modded with the r/t kit ill sell ya...PM if interested

sorry, but I'm gonna buy something completely stock so i can do all the mods, plus i dont think i would get it in the mail in time..........lol

KiethShwiggy300
04-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Get the Smart parts ION by far teh best gun i ever had and i had about 10 pb guns. Get a good barrel and your set. Ion hands down!!

honda4life72
04-04-2007, 06:21 PM
but if he gets a ionthen he has to buy hp and a fast loader..or decently fast...... i say a5 or one of them new kingman vs2 ...i have a promaster once and it was good but u got to buy so much to get it to shoot right

400EXtreme
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
to be honest with you. Just keep the gun u have now. Tippmans last forever and u will regret getting a new gun when ur done wiht paintball and spending all this money.

stocktires
04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
all guns mentioned suck, imo

Rider-trx_250ex
04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
to be honest with you. Just keep the gun u have now. Tippmans last forever and u will regret getting a new gun when ur done wiht paintball and spending all this money.

Either way i go i'm still going to own a tippmann, so it's all good with Tippmann.

Rider-trx_250ex
04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
all guns mentioned suck, imo

well then what guns do you recommend?

Also........how many shots will i get out of a 68ci N2 tank? and about how much would it be to fill one of those bad boys up? and what is the pull of the trigger like on the custom pro with e-trigger, is it like a normal 98 or like a real electronic gun...touch sensitive...........i dont really know a lot about electronic guns and n2 but i just love to play paintball, im willing to learn.

250R-Dee
04-05-2007, 05:35 AM
The general rule for shots per tank is:
3000psi tank = tank size x 10
4500psi tank = tank size x 15
5000psi tank = tank size x 17

so
68ci/3000 = 680shots
68ci/4500 = 1020 shots
68ci/5000 = 1156 shots

Marker effeciency, paint to barrel match, marker's operating and a couple more factors make the general rule for shots sway +/- 2 or 3 shots per ci. My Dragunfly Mech can get close to 800 shots out of a 68/3000 while my EMAG starts coughing for air in the 620 shot range.

The days of $1500 markers so do some research before falling succumbing to the ION lovers blindness syndrome. I have also seen a couple modded Tippmans that make many highend marker users cower behind trees and bunkers. Cost, maintenance and the ability to upgrade are the most important factors to consider.

Checkout pbreview, pbnation and pbtimes for more research info.

krt400ex
04-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by killerofcrows48
2 of my friends have response triggers, and lemme tell ya what, they shoot FAST but have ZERO accuracy.

the trigger doesnt really make a difference in accuracy. it is the type of barrel, and the shooter. got to have a steady hand to keep it accurate when your shooting real fast. i would get the response trigger. i think im gonna do that with my A5 when i get the $$$

Kaleigh
04-05-2007, 03:23 PM
if you want accuracy.. you will need a good reg(air pressure consistancy).. Evil makes one of the best regs.. also you need a good barrel to paint match..

oh yea.. low pressure with a long barrel does make it a little more accurate cause the paintball will not deform in the barrel..

fatkid400
04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I just bought a new 98 costum pro yesterday.They come with better barrells and a higher fire rate than a 98 custom. also a double trigger and a drop forward. I'm keeping mine stock for now,But maybe next year a response trigger and cyclone hopper.Maybe a expansion chamber. I just got into playing and barrowed a friends tippman carbine and loved it.Reliable as heck but I didnt want to by a used gun thats getting harder to by upgrades for.So I went with the 98 pro.I also bought a 24oz tank and they said id get "about" 1500 shots.

250R-Dee
04-05-2007, 07:37 PM
You should get 65 to 70 shots per ounce from a CO2 tank so 1500 shots sounds good.

Too many people are regurgitating fables about accuracy. LP with a long barrel will not produce better accuracy or efficiency. Paint to barrel match and paint quality are the two most important factors when it comes to accuracy.

A regulator will help because it will prevent the fluctuation of operating pressures during long strings of shots.

I have several markers and all of them shoot with the same level of accuracy. I use barrel kits that allow me to match the barrel to the paint size. I have a Dragun Barrel kit and a Bezerk barrel kit.

hondarider101
04-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
I love my 98 Custom, it is very flexible, modification wise. Now I need a gun that shoots faster. My options are 1.)keep my 98 and buy response trigger, 2.)keep the 98 and buy an Ion or similar gun, or 3.)sell the 98 and buy the newer custom or custom pro with e-trigger. Either way I go I would still like to own a Tippmann. Any advice?

well i have a ion an i love it i need the money so im sellinit..
ion-14 inch redz barrel,ccm lowrise feedneck,drop,custom body, elec hopper, 20 oz coz tank, 9oz coz tank,pack,tubes

210 for gun 75 gear

i played with it 3 times and got out of pb..

aim -waabaseball4me01

Mean250r
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
For the money, the ion is the best gun hands down. you can mod them to keep up with high ends guns like DM5's and ****. I mean to do that you need to mod the **** out of em (new board, etc). But still using a stock ion is a big upgrade from a 98 custom. Local pro team around here use ions. There modded to hell but there still ions and the team owns.

Snow
04-07-2007, 12:26 PM
I used to paintball a lot. I have an A-5 (similar to the 98) and an Ion. I love them both, but the Ion is definatly a more dominant gun. Shoots very well, and with the help of an aftermarket 14in. barrel it seems to be dead on. If your interested in buying it let me know, I have two nitro tanks(one is carbon wrapped), electric hopper, and some other things. Thanks.

250R-Dee
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
mean250R - I will have to disagree with your opinion of the ION. The price of markers have decreased astronomically in the last 2 years. There are entirely too many Markers in the $250~$300 range that light years better than the ION. Heck, you can buy Black Magic Autocockers BRAND NEW for $450.

Just to prove a point I switched my EMAG to mechanical while I was playing 7-man speedball against a bunch of freaks with ramping boards on $1500 setups. I PAINTED two guys off the break and picked off one of their backmen from our far right bunker with a cross corner shot. A couple of those guys called BS until I removed the Battery case to show that it was EMPTY.

I watched a group using 98 customs/A5 combos during woodsball play and they were good. Their ability to communicate and lay down accurate shots/cover fire always prevailed over the teams that were loaded with spray-n-pray speedball types using Angels, Matrices, Assortments of E-cockers, and other markers.

Sponsored teams and pros will use whatever their sponsors give to them so mentioning pro teams is a moot point.