PDA

View Full Version : widening 250ex

durs845
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
How you all doing ? Here's the deal im trying to get my girl into the sport.She just got a 07' 250ex and shes very conservitive on it to say the least , so the power is not a problem (more then enough for her 100lbs).I took it for a ride and was overall pleased with it except i feel like im sitting rather high and the width seems very narrow , like its trying to topple over through higher speed turns.Im already planning on replacing the rear balloon tires in the very near future.So on to the question , how can i go about widening the 250 safetly without spending a fortune ? Has anyone heard of extended rear hubs for these , or what do you think about wheel spacers ?

300exOH
04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Rear wheel spacers are okay but I wouldn't recommend them up front. There are 1 or 2 companies out there that are making wider a arms for the 250 but they are a little pricey. I tried a set of spacers on our 250ex and the extra leverage on the bars was very noticeable and my arms would get sore after short rides so I switched back to stock. A lower profile tire helps quite a bit. I run 20" rear tires and they help the stability probably more than the spacers did. You will lose some top end speed but the trade off is worth it to me.

450rJam
04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I have 2.5 spacers on each rear (+5 total) and the front rims are flipped. (take the tires off front rims, pull the valve stems out and put them in backwards, then drill a new hole in the other side for the new valve stem, re-mount tires)

this is pretty cheap but it will have a little more bump steer but it helps soooooooooo much in stability.
my wifes 250ex is set up like this and its alot better in speed corners and off camber trails.

if the bump steer bothers you alot you can add a steering stabilizer.

if I didnt explain it well, I can add pics
hope this helps